Horn push assembly S1

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

#1 Horn push assembly S1

Post by johnben » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Folks

I can get the horn on my 1967 S1 to work, however, I cannot guarantee that anyone else can particularly the MOT tester. I have searched high and low for an exploded image of the horn push assembly but have been unable to locate one. Any idea's? I also think that my assembly may have been added to at some time to make it work but I am unable to post an image as the IMG code box in Photobucket does not seem to be available and the other options fail.

Thanks

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:05 am

Hi John,

Try page 1.9 in service manual - here...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/849 ... eering.pdf

Regards,
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:07 am

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi Folks
Thanks for the replies, finally managed to download some images. The image is the underside of the growler horn push assembly. The curved brass strip looks homemade, does the original have such a brass strip or has this been made as no adjustment was left? is the horn adjustable to keep the contacts engaging, Thanks for any replies.

John

strip Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi John,

That doesn't look a standard horn push at all. I can't tell from the back if it's completely non standard or if it's an original that's been altered to suit. Also not sure if you have a standard steering wheel there as I don't recognise the raised ring (but it could just be a different way that someone has fitted an original wheel to the hub).

See images here for orignal horn push...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Jagua ... 7675.l2557
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:32 am

Moto Lita wheel or Moto Lita clone.

It's not even close to the smaller E-type hub and horn mech shown in the manuals.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply, the shame of it, not only do I not have an original Growler, I did not notice it. I have this type
http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.as ... woodJaguar

but also found here on a D type!

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-jaguar ... 96995.html

I do have the original steering wheel but the smaller Moto Lita one was put on by the PO and I have not changed it.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Post by Gfhug » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:00 am

In another thread Jaguar Heritage told me: "As it happens, one of the products we are looking at is the E-Type horn push."

That was last summer so I decided to chase them and got this:

I am afraid things have changed slightly since we first corresponded last year and we are not now reproducing the original horn push, as such.

However, we are producing a limited edition (150 off) steering wheel badge, in gold and hand painted enamel, offered in a mahogany presentation box, along with a certificate of authenticity. This is not the complete horn push, just the central motif and the cost will be around ?600.00

Anyone want to fit those to his steering wheel?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:15 am

Hi John,

So to answer your original query I'm not sure what the problem might be as the set up is different to standard. It looks like the brass plunger is original but it may be that the spring has been removed so that the plunger remains permanently engaged with the contact lower down in the steering column tube. It looks like you have a contact on the side of your horn push which engages with side of steering wheel/column plus the brass arch which engages with the brass plunger. When you push the horn button the circuit is completed within the horn push rather than lower down on the column. Probably the first thing to check is that there is a functioning circuit without the horn push. I think you should just be able to put a circuit tester between the steering column & brass plunger to test. If no circuit then try pushing plunger in & out a bit to see if it comes to life. If not you may need to investigate the contacts further down the column.

Regards,
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks for the help I have bent the brass strip in half to make a spring and drilled one end and secured it to the small nut and bolt in the centre so that it is in permanent contact with the base, the horn now works fine and will do until I can track down an original horn assembly. Interesting.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 am

Have been trying to do some research on the Growler insert on the horn push.
I thought that looking at the concours spec would help but they keep referring to Haddock Page 145 which I do not have. Does anyone know for definite whether the Growler insert was standard on all E Type from 3.8 to S3 inclusive?

Thanks John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

Post by neil4444 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:17 pm

The horn was only actuated by the centre push growler on S1 cars. S2 cars were actuated by the indicator stalk. However on S2 cars the steering wheel centre hub/growler remained aesthetically as per the S1 cars. At some point the chrome bezel/ring changed to black. The steering wheel centre on S3 cars was different to S1/S2 - it was in all black plastic....

http://www.jaguarclassifieds.org.uk/?page=cars&id=2160
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:43 pm

More info: viewtopic.php?p=34482&highlight=growler#34482

Haddock adds nothing more really other than the chrome trim was changed to black for the S2 cars. S3 cars had a moulded soft plastic one colour 'growler. The S3 used the gold growler on the hub caps though.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Post by Gfhug » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

In my chasing of Jaguar Heritage to start making new high quality growler horn push buttons I got this response from them:

"I am not saying we will never reproduce the horn push but it is not high on our priorities at the moment. The parts we are currently looking into reproducing, are either structural parts or are items that will keep vehicles on the road. I'm afraid the horn push doesn't fall into that category.

I am pretty sure SNG Barratt would not be too worried about infringing copyright laws (if there are any) on a product of that age that is no longer produced by Jaguar. They could tool up to make a better quality product themselves but while they are selling the poor quality part and while there is no competition, I don't think that is likely either."

So they may be produced by/for Jaguar Heritage at some point, BUT it seems that SNGB could make a far better item and not worry about copyright laws. If only they would :roll:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks for the info folks, obviously I need to get the right horn set up for my Series 1 car, these Growlers are around but it looks like you pay a lot of money for broken , scratched, chipped originals or get a poor modern replica.
I will make it a long term project to get an original replacement in good order rather than a quick fix.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:52 pm

johnben wrote:Thanks for the info folks, obviously I need to get the right horn ...Growlers are around but it looks like you pay a lot of money for broken , scratched, chipped originals....I will make it a long term project to get an original replacement in good order rather than a quick fix.

John
In which case, keep an eye out for V12 E hub caps. The Series 3 plastic motif in the centre of the hubcap is the same part as the Series 1 & 2 horn push. I scored four gorgeous golden originals in one hit just by buying a cheap set of scabby hubcaps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:55 pm

johnben wrote:Thanks for the info folks, obviously I need to get the right horn ...Growlers are around but it looks like you pay a lot of money for broken , scratched, chipped originals....I will make it a long term project to get an original replacement in good order rather than a quick fix.

John
I might be tempted to part with one or two golden originals for serious money.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:41 pm

PeterCrespin wrote: In which case, keep an eye out for V12 E hub caps. The Series 3 plastic motif in the centre of the hubcap is the same part as the Series 1 & 2 horn push. I scored four gorgeous golden originals in one hit just by buying a cheap set of scabby hubcaps.
Thanks Peter, something else I did not know, here are some examples of the Growler within the Series 3 hub cap for those who are unfamiliar with the set up.:

I also picked this up from the Series 3 Judges Guide: Chrome Plated Steel Disc Wheels: (Part No. C.33763) Chrome - with chrome hubcap (Part No. C.30283) with large black center insert cap (Part No. C.31213) with Growler over checkered flag background - available later as an option, but became standard in 1973 per reference C, page 221 and D, figure 67. Thanks for the offer but I will decline for now as it has given me the excuse I need to visit some autojumbles.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:52 am

These don't look bad copies, cheap and cheerful. What do the experts think?

John

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-E-Type ... Swd0BVppOO

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

adam
Great Britain

Post by adam » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:03 am

The badge on the hub caps has to be modified to use it as a horn push, its missing the thin retaining ring on its base. I cut one of an old pattern one and glued it on, also the radius is different and has to be ground and polished to match the original.I Will post pictures soon, my car wears a modified badge.
The picture of the 4 hubcaps are the ones of e bay I bought to do this modification.

Adam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic