Folding down the Soft top correctly

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Tunstall
Great Britain

#1 Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Tunstall » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm

I have had convertible E Types for 25 years, 6 in total and I am afraid to admit that I still don’t know the correct way to fold the soft top down ! As you can see in the picture (Softtop 2) my S2 is on top and another S2 is on the bottom with the softtop right down, this is probably achieved by correct folding but I haven’t seen a video how it is done.

My first picture (Softtop1) shows what happens when the top is not down correctly, part of the frame sticks into the seat and the seat can’t go back utilising the cut-out bulkhead to gain leg space. I can’t believe that the car was designed to have this soft top frame into the back of the seat, are there any solutions to avoid this ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Gfhug » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:37 pm

Try reading the posts below, should give you the answers.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Tunstall
Great Britain

#3 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Tunstall » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

I have spent 2 days searching the internet for answers and not found any, also I looked on the E Type forum and found a response to a similar question about "folding" but the answer didn't get the softtop right down as some have managed, here are more photos

Indeed I work out most things myself using google but couldn't find answers to my questions so I thought I would try a forum, I thought that was the reason forums exist.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#4 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

You're right, this is why forums exist but you only asked the question yesterday.

The beauty of this forum is that, in the main, people speak from knowledge and experience so if they don't know the answer they remain silent. Given time, the person with the right answer will most likely contribute.

My car is a FHC, so no help here, I'm afraid.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Full details for folding the hood are given in the small buff coloured Operating. Maintenance & Service Handbook ...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tommd
United States of America

#6 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Tommd » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Tunstall, looking at your first photo, the frame part that seems to be jabbing the back of the seat, I do not understand. You say you have an S2. This is that frame section on my S2, note how it is two pieces that allow it to fold down behind the seat and not jab. I am not familiar with your type of frame.

Tom

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#7 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by AussieEtype » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

The Turquoise car looks like it may be a series 3 - it might help the poster if he posts just pics of his own car not a mix of different cars.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tommd
United States of America

#8 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Tommd » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm

AussieEtype, you may be correct, I am going by his statement he has an S2. I am not familiar with the S3 top.
Tom

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#9 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 am

Well, this is a puzzle. The OP says the top picture is his car - I'm no expert, but Google confirms that the turquoise car is a Series 3 , hence a completely different hood frame, as per the attached picture I found. Note the black frame and studs on the outside panel to secure the roof side flap, which is a Series 3 feature I believe.
On that basis, this topic is either in the wrong section or the OP isn't certain what car they have, or the pictures are mixed up...Anyway, in case it helps, this is my S2 setup, correctly folded, prior to a bit of tucking to allow the hood bag to be fitted.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#10 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:33 pm

If the OP does have a series 3 then as a Series 3 owner as well - I can assure him that the seats have to be folded forward first (there is a sign on the hood frame) and where the hood is held to the sides of the body via velcro and the clips (as shown in the first pic) it has to be unclipped or the hood will rip - ask me how I know.

If this is done the hood does go right down and it rests on little shelves moulded into the interior side trim. If the hood does not go all the way down then something is stopping it - maybe too thick towelling to protect the rear vinyl window, the seatbelts, something caught in the hood frame hinges or even a shrunken vinyl top - it does happen. Of course something on the rear parcel tray can stop it going down.

When the hood is down, it is only then that the seats can be folded back - it is possible to get the hood down with the seats sort of still in place but the you have scratches and holes in the seat back and sides - again ask me and my previous owners how we know.

I assume this process is similar to Series 1and 2 cars.

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by mgcjag » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm

Read the original post....it clearly states the poster has a S2..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#12 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by AussieEtype » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:41 am

mgcjag wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:49 pm
Read the original post....it clearly states the poster has a S2..Steve
Yes but as highlighted in a three posts back # 9 - the OP says he has a Series 2 but also says the top pic (the turquoise car) is his which is a a series 3, So we are confused to what he actually has, or is referring too.

Hence my comments if it is actually a Series 3.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#13 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Series1 Stu » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:42 am

I think he means the top car of the 2 cars in the second picture is his. The first picture is probably something he's found on the internet.

Perhaps not the clearest of posts but all he wants to know is whether there is a procedure for folding the hood so that it sits lower on the bodywork. I can't help him with that but I'm sure that somebody here will be able to.
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#14 Re: Folding down the Soft top correctly

Post by Monkeyfinger » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:18 am

I think it's probably clear now, but the manual has it spot on. My summary below:
Tilt seats forward
Lower top while tucking in the rear window, and pulling out the central fold of fabric
Push down and secure in lowered position with the 2 hold down straps fed through the chrome rings (often not present)
Tuck in the excess material at the corners to get the hood cover on, if required

I can confirm that when acquired in 1977, my seats were already scuffed and worn on the top corners by the hood frame catching them during the procedure. They are still scuffed and worn now. If the hood won't sit lower, then maybe the central fold of material has not been pulled out as shown on page 42 and is getting caught in the scissoring action of the frame?
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic