series II A/C wiring

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Robboboot
Spain

#1 series II A/C wiring

Post by Robboboot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 pm

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help with the rewiring of the under-dash A/C unit. My vision is blurred from the hours dredging the internet for any pictures or detail on the thermostat temperature control switch and knob and indeed info in general on the A/C of the series II

I have bought a switch and knob on ebay which looks the part, but it only has connections at points 1 and A (see attached photo)
I assume that there should be tabs on points B, C & D too as shown in the wiring diagram?

I wonder did the CIA destroy all information relating to etype A/C with the Kennedy files??? could someone please put me out of my misery? any photos would be greatly appreciated of any of the A/C components in situ or out,
also are there replacement switch/knob controls available anywhere?
Thanks a million for any help

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by johnetype » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am

You need a copy of Jaguar publication E 157/1, Service manual for Air Conditioning System. This covers in some detail the air conditioning system for Series 2 cars.

I can't see it in the Forum knowledge base but you can buy it from the US for $22.

On the Series 2 cars the control switch has two concentric knobs. One controlled the thermostat connected to positions "1" and "A" and the other controlled the fan speed using "A", "C" and "D". The unit you've photographed is just the control end of the thermostat, no fan speed connections.

I can't remember what the combined control switch looks like without taking mine apart but if you can't get or haven't got the complete unit you could go the same route as the Series 3 did and separate the thermostat and fan speed controls. You can use the unit you've got for the thermostat and if I were you I'd use a separate electronic fan speed control unit readily available off eBay to control the fan speed.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#3 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by paulsco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Rob?

There is a section in the knowledge base under the Series Two Service Manual on the air conditioning unit, which shows the wiring but this may not be enough to answerer your question.

I think I understand what you are looking for and I may have some photos on my computer at home that may help. I am however at work at the moment, so do not have access to them.

I will look for them as soon as I can and let you know.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robboboot
Spain

#4 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by Robboboot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Wow, Thank you Paul and John, really !

I'll have a look for the E 157/1 and the possibility of photos would be much appreciated without going to too much trouble, please!

after fruitless searches I feel I'm back on fertile ground. Great forum indeed and thanks again :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robboboot
Spain

#5 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by Robboboot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Here's the other side of the control unit, you might see the broken bakelite, I presume here ther would have been the other connections, C & D?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#6 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by paulsco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am

Hi Robboboot,

My pictures are not as good as I remembered, thay are a little out of focus :-(

What I can tell from your latest picture is that it would appear that your switch is correct; it has the same Ranco part number as the one I have.

The switch is in two parts, the fan control part is this:

This is where the pictures are out of focus:

As you can see, several of the wires double up and go onto the same terminals. there should be two additional terminals where your switch is broken (see picture 1107)

I think you are going to struggle getting any of these parts now, but there AC units do come up on Ebay from time to time and if you are in the UK it is Jaguar Spares Day in march; they can sometimes be found there.

I hope these are of some help, I may have more if you need them.

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robboboot
Spain

#7 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by Robboboot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Oh Paul, you are indeed a beautiful man!, thats cleared up the doubt completely and I have reconstructed the missing connections B & D!

Seeing the wiring also gives me great assurance as I had a couple of looms and wasnt sure which was correct.

Ill post the inards of the switch with its plastic cam for future lost souls like me

Thanks again Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#8 Re: series II A/C wiring

Post by paulsco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you Robboboot,

Some more photos :