Manual Gearbox 2+2 end float?

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Lbereiter
Switzerland

#1 Manual Gearbox 2+2 end float?

Post by Lbereiter » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:43 am

Hi there, i`m new to the forum and hope to get some extra expertise on behalf of the manual gearbox of the e-type series 2, 2+2 (1968).
I startet a overall restauration of my e-type a couple months ago and right now i finished reassembling the gearbox with new main bearings. Now with no parts left for the gearbox, i have axial backlash at the first/second clutch sleeve-gear package on the main shaft of 2.0 mm. As far as i know there shouldn`t be any play at all or only a very small one for the thermal elongation of the parts.
Furthermore the package is pressed at the casing during running time because of the axial forces resulting of the helical teeth. Still with the axial play i have, there might get some dirt or abrasion in the needle bearing of the 1./2. gears what concerns me the most.
Do you have any idea what i`m missing out or do you know a similar case? May the axial play be normal?

I`m looking forward to get some information and thank you very much!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

C Kyte
Australia

#2 Re: Manual Gearbox 2+2 end float?

Post by C Kyte » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:06 am

Hi, I just saw your post about gear box end float. Do you have a manual covering gear box. I have a genuine factory manual and if you need a copy, you will have to give me an email where I can send a copy.

Chris.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic