Rusty fuel issues! Part 1

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
catnip
Great Britain

#41 Re: Rusty fuel issues! Part 1

Post by catnip » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks Hugo and John for you valuable help. I don't know why but I have not been able to access the forum for a few days.

Your point John about the porting and correct air flow is very interesting. I managed to dig out the secondary manifold....

It should scrub up nicely. It will be interesting to see what difference this makes. As you say, it may make the rear carb/cylinders run smoother. I'm thinking of draining the fuel tank and putting 98 RON in, since the manual recommends this for 9:1 compression ratio engines.

I will see what else is lying around in the garage roof and work out what my next steps are.
Dan
E-Type Series 2 OTS 1970 (76k miles)
Mk2 3.8 OD 1964 (48k miles)
XJS 5.3 1978 (24k miles)
XK8 Coupe 1996 (32k miles)
XKR Convertible 2010

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#42 Re: Rusty fuel issues! Part 1

Post by johnetype » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Rather than drain the tank you could just use a one off addition of octane booster to just bring this tankful up to 98 octane or better. My personal experience of some brands of superunleaded is that they get there by using large %ages of methanol which doesn't agree with old cars.......

Whilst you're looking out old parts, given your earlier post on the engine breather at the front of the cylinder head, if you look at the engine bay photos you've posted from Gaydon you'll see that the breather exits vertically and is then turned by 180 degrees using a part you're missing but is clearly in the picture adjacent to the top hose.

John
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#43 Re: Rusty fuel issues! Part 1

Post by Hugo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't know about this country, but in Florida there's a garage just round the corner from me that sells ethanol-free.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic