Question on Drive Train

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

chrisfell
St Lucia

#21 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by chrisfell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 pm

A few years ago I found myself in Gloucestershire with a gearbox that would only stay in 4th gear, and I needed to get home to southwest Wiltshire, a journey of around 70 miles. With my 3.07 axle the 4.2 engine was perfectly happy being driven in 4th gear the whole journey, through towns and on the open road. Given this, I'd expect my driving style to suit the 4.2 with a 2.88 axle. I'm not sure if the negative comments about the 2.88 axle are related only to 3.8s, but if they are I'd understand that.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#22 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Lost Horizon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Heuer wrote:Don't go for the 2.88 unless you have a modified engine with lots of torque but even then 1st is too high especially if you are going into mountain roads. I have the 2.88 and regret it - great for high speed touring in France but compromised in town and the congested roads of the UK.
Agreed. The 3.07 strikes me as the best compromise. Now to figure out how to best get from .54 to .07 during the refresh this winter.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#23 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Lost Horizon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 pm

This is a somewhat interesting factoid as I delve into the project.. In the book Jaguar E-Type by Phillip Porter that lists all the production changes throughout the years it looks like the car has every single series II change.

While the registration lists it as a 1971, its production was August 1970.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ETTony
Great Britain

#24 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by ETTony » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:25 am

Herzeg wrote:Hi Tony

I had mine done by Angus Moss as part of my RHD conversion but don't know who actually did the rebuild

John
Thanks John.
Tony in Devon
1967 Series 1, 4.2, OTS, RHD, Black.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#25 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Gfhug » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 am

Dana, my S2 FHC was built in August 1969 but first registered in January 1970. Perhaps sitting in a dealer's showroom until a punter decided to buy?
As so many (most?) North American cars had the 3.54 diff you may find it difficult to find a 3.07. I know there are alternative (Dana?) diff parts. You might find the Jag Lovers website helpful for advice on where to get the parts your side of the pond.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#26 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Herzeg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 am

Geoff

I will probably get shot down by someone more knowledgeable but my understanding is that mine is actually a 3.06 now, presumably because it's a gear set from a different Jag. They used the same running gear on many cars so I am sure there's something suitable out there.

Who knows where the gears came from when it's all boxed up under the car? :questionmarks:

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#27 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Lost Horizon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:53 am

Gfhug wrote:Dana, my S2 FHC was built in August 1969 but first registered in January 1970. Perhaps sitting in a dealer's showroom until a punter decided to buy?
As so many (most?) North American cars had the 3.54 diff you may find it difficult to find a 3.07. I know there are alternative (Dana?) diff parts. You might find the Jag Lovers website helpful for advice on where to get the parts your side of the pond.

Geoff
It looks like some jeeps may still use the same diff, and there seem to be other suppliers who have jag kits. The restorer says it won't be a big problem to get it sorted, and he's done quite a few. I did find some links to suppliers after looking for only a few minutes, so it looks solve able here on the west coast at first glance.

An example of such a Supplier link
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#28 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Lost Horizon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 pm

The plan for the (mostly) cosmetic refresh with the plan for a 3.07 is now understood after the initial running around.

I think I'll start a fresh thread for the refresh experience over the winter as it progresses. The restorer has done his due diligence and incorporated it with mine, it's now all costed, and we took it for one last ride up Island and stopped by a pumpkin patch for this photo op before it fully comes apart for the frame off..

Happy Halloween to the NA crowd.

Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#29 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Lost Horizon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:29 pm

So to tidy up this thread, I had the diff totally overhauled and rebuilt to European standard 3.07 as part of the overall project on this thread. (Also went with the triple SU's verses the Stroms just to add some margin).

One benefit was to also end up with a modern neoprene shaft seal verses what appeared to be a (leather? rope?) original. One less leak. As part of the rest of the rear carriage assembly rebuild, I also went with Koni Shocks all round.
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#30 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:00 am

And can you tell us some more about your new experience now with the impact of those changes?
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lost Horizon
Canada

#31 Re: Question on Drive Train

Post by Lost Horizon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:23 pm

ralphr1780 wrote:And can you tell us some more about your new experience now with the impact of those changes?
Can do. Right now the car is still in pieces in the restoration department.
I'll keep posting progress on the other thread Click Here...
Dana
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic