Engine rebuild

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Hieter
Canada

#1 Engine rebuild

Post by Hieter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:18 am

I am trying to remove the crankshaft from 4.2 engine and seem to be stuck at the rear main oil seal. I cannot remove it. There is bolt in the way along with the locating bushings. It is a solid one piece seal not like the newer ones that are in 2 pieces. Any idea on how to remove? My next question is how the heck can I remove the cylinder head I believe all bolts are out but nothing is budging . Thanks tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Engine rebuild

Post by abowie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:49 am

Can you put up a picture of the rear seal?
WRT the head; long stud blocks are notorious for corrosion between the studs (which are in the water jacket) and the alloy of the head. This can be a difficult job. Try penetrating oil and bottle jacks under the sides of the head.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Engine rebuild

Post by christopher storey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 am

Are you sure you have removed the 4 nuts on the underside of the head , 2 either side at the front ? These are not obvious if you have not been looking for them. As far as the rear seal is concerned, the housing is secured to the block by 3 bolts/screws going forward into the block , 1 at the top and 1 to each side, and the two halves of the housing ( top and bottom halves) are secured to each other by 2 cap screws. All have to be removed to get it apart

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic