Petrol Tank Vent Hose Confiiguration

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
willyspu
United States of America

#1 Petrol Tank Vent Hose Confiiguration

Post by willyspu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:20 am

I have a US spec series II with emission controls. I received my replacement petrol tank and it looks like I ordered the non US version tank with 1 larger venting pipe instead of the North American version with the 3 venting pipes for emission control. I would like to use the non-US version tank and remove the US emission control charcoal canister (since it has rusted out) and cars of this age are exempt from emissions tests.

I realize I will need a vented petrol cap.

My question is: on the non US tank, what does the single breather/vent pipe connect to? Does it connect to the expansion tank?

Thanks!
Jim
Series II
1R11203 Regency Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#2 Re: Petrol Tank Vent Hose Confiiguration

Post by mark10337 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:03 am

Hi

It connects back to the fuel filler neck, below the filler cap. Part #5
http://www.sngbarratt.com/CatalogueProd ... 103&a=4103
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#3 Re: Petrol Tank Vent Hose Confiiguration

Post by 288gto » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:02 pm

As Mark says it connects back into the filler neck metal tube part. IF your car had the emissions tank up in the rear wing it won't have the tube in the filler neck.
There are devices available from the likes of Car Builder Solutions that allow you to tap into a rubber hose to create a sealed take off.

The proviso with this is that I would check that any sealing rubbers or washers are fuel resistant.
I would also be inclined to fit it higher up into the metal part rather than the rubber tube if possible.

Note, fitting a vented cap on its own won't stop splash back when filling the tank.

I have not done this personally but it was an option I considered when removing the emissions stuff on my car. Because I had the tank with three outlets I ended up using a special two way vent valve.
I hope that made some sort of sense.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
willyspu
United States of America

#4 Re: Petrol Tank Vent Hose Confiiguration

Post by willyspu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Thank you all again for the quick response!
Yes, my car has North American emissions control and no vent connection to the filler neck. I just spent a few minutes trying to use my camera on my phone to photograph the filler neck to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I will check in to the option of adding a vent to the filler hose. I find it interesting that Jaguar made completely different filler necks for these vehicles.

(also looks like I have a little rust to clean up)
Jim
Series II
1R11203 Regency Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#5 Re: Petrol Tank Vent Hose Confiiguration

Post by 288gto » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Jim,

It would not have been a major re tooling exercise at the time to make a neck without a vent tube. If anything it would have simplified the manufacturing. It couldn't be left in as it would have allowed fuel or vapours into the boot.

Knowing Jaguar though there is probably one car out there right on the change over with that neck tube still in and blanked off! :bigrin: :bigrin:

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic