SerII Engine Removal

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
gerry59
Great Britain

#1 SerII Engine Removal

Post by gerry59 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi looking to take out my engine, wondering if its better to take it out from the top or from the bottom, would appreciate some guidance how to do it Cheers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#2 Re: SerII Engine Removal

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm

The general consensus is that it's easier and safer to remove the engine from beneath the car. I'm assuming that you have a workshop manual. It's essential for undertaking any work of this scope and very helpful for any work on the car even if you've turned a spanner a few times in the past. As far as details, check out the various similar topics at the bottom of this thread. You should find more than enough info. If you're methodical in your approach, the job isn't particularly difficult but a second person is very helpful at a few critical times such as when the engine is actually coming out.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

simong
Great Britain

#3 Re: SerII Engine Removal

Post by simong » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm

I too agree, removing from below is easier and safer. I removed the engine by myself without any major issues, I made a low trolley which the engine was lowered on to and wheeled out from under the car. The biggest challenge was getting the front of the car high enough, I managed this by placing my adjustable ramps under the front of the sills and raising until I had the required clearance. I also used an engine hoist to support and then lower the engine on to the trolley. Other than that is was reasonable straight forward, the process is described in the back the E-Type Haynes manual.
Simon
Simon
1969 S2 2+2, 1974 MG Midget

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: SerII Engine Removal

Post by christopher storey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 am

simong wrote:The biggest challenge was getting the front of the car high enough
Simon

The key to this, paradoxically, is that it is usually made much easier if the rear wheels are raised significantly ( perhaps 5 or 6 inches ) before you start . Normal ramps are ideal for this. Make sure also that you have enough headroom for the crane to lift the front of the car high enough to slide the engine out from underneath

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: SerII Engine Removal

Post by mach2andy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Gerry
I took mine out single handed and lifted it up and out of the car and found it to be very straightforward. The cylinder head and carbs had already been removed from my engine which did cut down the amount of weight I was lifting however. This also allowed me to attach the crane to the engine much lower down which I think probably helped as well.
The bonnet was already off my car, and I don't think the job can be done with the bonnet in situ, but someone will quickly correct me if I'm wrong? I had the car supported with the floor pan about 18" above the ground. You'll need to break the lower ball joints to allow the lower wishbones to swing down to release the tension in the torsion bars so that the reaction plate can be removed. I supported the weight of the engine & gearbox on my hoist [ a load leveller that I bought in Machine Mart was very useful to get them balanced ] and once everything was disconnected, I dropped the engine and gearbox onto the floor. I then split the gearbox complete with bell housing from the engine and slid them rearwards. I had already removed the water pump, lower pulley & crankshaft damper to give enough room to slide the engine forward so that it would clear the bulkhead at the rear, and the picture frame at the front. You could perhaps create the same amount of clearance by removing the clutch assembly instead, but again I'm sure that someone will pipe up if that is the case. I thought it was better to remove the damper whilst the engine was bolted firmly in the car rather than wrestling with it when the engine was loose? Once the engine was away from the car, I split the bell housing from the gearbox and took both of these forward and out from under the frame. Anyway, thats how I did it and it worked well for me working on my own.
Best of luck with your endeavours
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mikey1
Great Britain

#6 Re: SerII Engine Removal

Post by mikey1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Interesting. This subject has been discussed before but I don't think I have seen that exact method described. Why didn't you just reposition the hoist and lift the car free of the engine/gearbox once it was on the floor. Saves a lot of crawling about under the car. I have used both the lift it out and drop it to the floor methods but on balance prefer to lift the car off the engine rather than vice versa. I just get a bit anxious with all that weight hanging so high in the air. incidentally Bob Bate who has done a lot of work on my cars over many years, tells me that he does not remove the bonnet, just the restraining hydraulic or spring strut to allow the bonnet to hinge forward at right angles. He then removes the engine/gearbox from above and out to the side. Of course he has plenty of space and an impressive large and stable crane.

Mike Williamson: series 2 OTS nearing end of restoration.
Mike Williamson, series 2 ots,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
gerry59
Great Britain

#7 Re: SerII Engine Removal

Post by gerry59 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Thank guys for all your comments........a lot of good information will tread carefully, will let you know how I get on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic