re-trim

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
yev
Great Britain

#1 re-trim

Post by yev » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 am

sending my s2 2+2 to painters on 12h of march. want to gut out interior and replace while I am at it.
few questions:
BAS or Aldridge ?
painter will have glass out of the car - what components if any I need to put in while glass is out? headlining? or can it be pit in with glass in?
any other tricks? local upholsterer quote 2.5k £ to do the job, I think it is sounds quite a lot plus quite fancying trying it myself, or am I mad?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: re-trim

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 am

I know it's a lot of money but £2.5k to re-trim an E Type is a bargain. You won't get the trim kit for anywhere near that.

Make sure the upholster uses the correct materials.

I had BAS supply my trim kit and they did the seats for me. I think I spent around £4k in total 6 years ago and that's for a FHC, not a 2+2.

Nothing is cheap any more.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
yev
Great Britain

#3 Re: re-trim

Post by yev » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 am

2.5k is to install a trim kit I would buy at the cost of 3.5k approx. so 6k in total. plus the 6k I am just about to spend with painter . you can see now why I am trying to do some of the work myself...
it is s2 as well, so can't be chucking all the money at it as I also have s1 on the go in early part of resto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: re-trim

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 am

BAS or Aldridge....both at the top if their game......rear hatch trim with glass out...and rear quarter lights out.....cant think of any thing else although would probably be easier to do headlining with it out.....i done a diy on my S2 2+2...front seat covers and carpet set and center consul kit.......for everything else just purchased the vinyl.......didnt do head lining or rear seat cost approx £1.8k but very time consuming..approx 5 months..Steve
Edit.....after doing it myself i can easily see why a trimmer would charge £5-6k

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#5 Re: re-trim

Post by 1954Etype » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 am

At those prices I think I will take some cars over there! It all depends on what you class as a re-trim. We remove everything - upper and lower cant rails, all the vinyl and panels. The original panels are then either repaired or replaced prior to trimming. Having recently completed a S2 2+2, I can't see how they can do it for £2.5k! The job just seems to go on and on....
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#6 Re: re-trim

Post by johnetype » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 pm

I would certainly recommend BAS but also note that many of the good guys will have long waiting lists which you'll have to factor into your decision.

A full re-trim is a lot of work, I suggest you read about Chris's restoration @chrisvine.com or others detailed on the web if you're considering doing it yourself.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic