Advice regarding softtop lock mechanism

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#1 Advice regarding softtop lock mechanism

Post by Pex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:31 pm

I’m right now 1000 km from home looking at a very nice OTS-69 in Belgium. There a some small issues that bothering me. There are 3 locking devices for the softtop but the middle one doesn’t stay in it’s locked position causing a gap betweeen the the softtop’s rubbersealing and the Window frame. Also the two outer locks is almost adjusted as short as the could but still the softtop doesnt seem to really close /fit... does anyone have any close pictures of how the softops rubbersealing should meet the window frame? I looked at it myself but I really can’t see what’s wrong here, there is no adjustment I can think of when I look at it. I do like the car but it must be waterproof between window and soft top if I buy it, especially for driving in Sweden.
// Peter
//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#2 Re: Advice regarding softtop lock mechanism

Post by mark10337 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 am

When closed, you shouldn't be able to see the chrome top strip along the window. The rubber sits along, in front of this and slightly above.

There is some adjustment with the centre lock in the form of washers used as shims behind the mounting. The soft tops are notoriously difficult to get sealing properly but it is possible with much patience and adjustment.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#3 Re: Advice regarding softtop lock mechanism

Post by ralphr1780 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Peter, here is how it is supposed to look, at least my guessing and result:

With the chrome latches you have 2 possible adjustments:
fore and aft by sliding the latch
hook length, screwing-unscrewing with blocking nut
These adjustments serve only as fine-tuning, and cannot compensate for a wrongly fitted hood.
Wishing you success in your quest.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Advice regarding softtop lock mechanism

Post by christopher storey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:44 pm

Peter : the centre latch also should be adjustable for length. However, no matter what you do, unless you are both lucky and skilful, getting a watertight seal between hood and screen is almost impossible. I always carry a towel in the car in rainy conditions :oops: . What I have found most effective ( I'm sorry to say ) for any long journey in rain is to use a length of self adhesive Duct Tape ( that silver grey tape which comes on rolls about 7cms wide ) stuck on the outside join between hood and screen. It may not look good, but it works ! and comes off easily without leaving a mark

This is a long winded way of saying that if the rest of the car pleases you, don't let this small defect put you off the car

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#5 Re: Advice regarding softtop lock mechanism

Post by Pex » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for such a quick response, I bought the car today despite the problem with the soft top alignment based on your comments. The rubber sealing wasn’t correct fitted and there are some adjustment to do. The firm will take some help from their “soft top expert” before delivering it to me... still a very nice car. One owner, sold as new in Belgium, totally mechanically overhauled.
//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic