Boot drain fitting

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Boot drain fitting

Post by mach2andy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:26 am

My boot drain had been very thoughtfully blocked up by a previous owner which probably contributed to the
tyrannosaurus rust attack in the vicinity. Anyway, a shiny new boot floor is now in situ, and proudly sports a Y fitting drain tube. The original fitting had I think snapped off lowish down, and had only one pipe attached to it that drained the fuel filler cavity. So what drain pipe attaches to the other section of my drain fitting?
Thanks in advance.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#2 Re: Boot drain fitting

Post by mark10337 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:26 am

the one from the hole at the rear left inside the boot lid lip.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Boot drain fitting

Post by mach2andy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Mark
You say a drain point on the rear left?
The only other drain point that I'm aware of at the rear of my car can be seen in the centre of these photos. This drain hole [ in the bottom centre of the channel around the boot lid recess where the weatherstripping sits ] drains down through a metal pipe which exits externally above the rear number plate? I'll have a closer look at the car tomorrow in case I've missed something. Or perhaps there was a design revision that was applied to my car which removed the drain that you refer to?
Thanks for your reply.
Andy

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#4 Re: Boot drain fitting

Post by mark10337 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi

Ah, I was thinking of the OTS. On the FHC there is the drain tube at the bottom of the back door aperture than you rightly show. It is part BD.19635/1 which is a piece of pipe 6 1/4" long. There is a drain tube also coming from the petrol filler box, BD.659/9 - 18 5/8" long

BD.19032 is the Drain pipe assembly in the L.H. lower outer panel for the petrol overflow.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Boot drain fitting

Post by mach2andy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 am

Hi Mark
You say petrol overflow? From where? There is a vent tank tucked up inside N/S rear wing of my car that I assumed collected any fuel tank overflow or vented fumes? Perhaps this has a drain pipe on it to vent it to atmosphere through the pipe you mention? The picture shows this area of the car, and you can see the original drain point in the boot floor with only one pipe attached to it which drains the fuel filler box. As I've mentioned, I think this original drain point rusted away fairly low down, as the new boot floor has a drain fitting with 2 connections. If this second connection is to drain excess fuel away, I suppose that would make sense.
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic