Rear Bumper Rubber

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
AshM
Great Britain

#1 Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by AshM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Having fitted new rubber seals on my re-chromed rear bumper I am not 100% happy with the ends. Where they go around the tips and back underneath.

Any tips, or ideally, good photos of a high quality completed job would be much appreciated.

I am struggling to stop mine folding under themselves rather than go around the tip flat against the body.

Also, they seeem to overhand the the rear wheel arch edge.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 am

They don't fold back under the bumper on an S2 - instead they finish off in line with the bumper's leading edge.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 am

Hi Simon...is that correct, I know iv seen both... the S2 2+2 definatly does.... in Chris Vines blog he refers to cutting a notch in the rubber to be able to turn it under......he did use the thinner S1 rubber
http://etype.chrisvine.com/2015/06/external-trim-2/ Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Steve

AFAIK, original spec for the S2 FHC and the S2 OTS is for the rubber to be finished off in line with the leading edge. This would make sense as (a) the thicker S2 rubber is not easy to wrap round like the thinner S1 rubber, and (b) there's not enough room between the bumper and the wheel-arch lip even if you could. Point (b) may be different of the 2+2 cars though allowing an S1-style wraparound as you say.

Hoping the Angus doesn't mind, I've lifted a couple of pictures of unrestored* S2 cars off his website to illustrate the point (*albeit that the white car has obviously had a quick repaint at some point in its past):

You will see variation out there because so many cars will have been restored at some point, and obviously quite a number of them now sport the thinner rubbers as a result anyway. Incidentally, from memory Chris Rooke wrapped his thicker rubbers when he did his but includes a note in his book that he realised afterwards that wasn't strictly accurate (although he preferred the look). I've probably got that last bit completely wrong, so apologies Chris if you read this!

I believe there are also some shots in DSJ's book of his S2 OTS taken when the car was new which also illustrate the point.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Just to add that although not quite the ideal angle, these photos of an unrestored S2 2+2 "Arsemodell" (curious... :bigrin: ) just posted up on the For Sale section would seem to suggest that the original S2 bumper rubber treatment was the same for the LWB cars as the SWBs:

https://www.blocket.se/eslov/Jaguar_E_t ... 0.htm?aw=1
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi Simon...cant say im convinced by any of the photos you posted, they are not close or clear enough to confirm if the rubber wrappes around....re Chris Rooke I just looked up the section on fitting the rubber we says he didnt know how to end the rubber seals so he cut his flush with the end of the bumper, he then says "but i have since learnt that the seals should actually curl around the end of the bumper and cut off underneath"
Just to show how close you need to be to see in a photo here,s mine that i fitted....so not original

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:25 pm

You're right - unfortunately I can't link direct to the photos on Angus's site, but if you go to http://www.mossjaguar.com/projects.html and find and open up the original images they come out much bigger and (hopefully) clearer.

It's always worth having a browse around that section of Angus's site anyway as it's the closest thing we've got to a 'Factory Original' section for S2s. I have had a further nose around in it and I've found this shot which, being taken from underneath, might be a bit more helpful?

Nothing but painted bodywork under the bumper?

Simon
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi Simon...here,s a photo of the White car you posted after restoration... Steve

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 pm

'After restoration' don't count :bigrin: - and besides that's an S1 rubber isn't it?

There's some useful reference shots on this supposedly* unrestored example - and judging by the way the rear rubber has perished I'm prepared to believe that part at least is what was on the car originally:

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ ... ter/386847

(*I'm not altogether convinced by that data plate though :scratchheadyellow: )
Last edited by Simon P on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Simon...yes the rubber is well perished...im not convinced its original paint, and hence if the bumpers been off...it does give a good close up of the end of the bumper and although not going under it does curve around the point......maybee becaus the rubber was brittle the under part broke off :bigrin: ...anyway enough for Ash to fit the rubber how he wants it.....I dont know how they left the factory and havent yet seen anything that it clarify... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#11 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm

A case of you say potato, I say aubergine then :wink:

I'll see if can dig anything else up. As an aside it's interesting to see that the owner of that Willow Green car has addressed the issue of the rear 'trailer board' that seems to offend so may by the simple expedient of painting it satin black :mrgreen:

Right. Off to put an owl on my head and trawl the available references..... :bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 pm

:bigrin:
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#13 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Right. As I thought, pp.97 & 98 of DSJ's book show that the treatment shown on the Willow Green car on the Sotheby's link is correct and original.

I've looked again at Chris Rooke's book too: you're right and I was confusing myself :bigrin: Chris's are wrong - but not for the reason he thought. He cut his off too abruptly, but then I think convinced himself they should be done the S1 way. What he should say is that they should 'curl around the end of the bumper and be cut off more or less level with the bumper' (which was the point I was trying to make in my original post).

I think what confuses matters is that S1s were done a certain way, and S3s picked up on pretty much the same configuration again. As time's gone on fewer and fewer original S2s are around, and any time an S2 suffered rear end damage it was reassembled in the way most repairers were familiar with, and likewise most restorations tend to automatically assume the S1/S3 way is the only way (heck, even the JCNA concours guide gets it wrong! :bigrin: ) - and that's before you get to folk doing it through choice because they like the look of the thinner rubber and the wraparound treatment.

As you say though, in answer to Ash's original question, you do it as you want to, and yes it's possible to do :geek:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#14 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Gfhug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Simon P wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Right. Off to put an owl on my head .. :bigrin:
Simon, please don't, it wouldn't suit a sensible person like you

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#15 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Simon....who is DSJ......what is the book you refer to...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#16 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by nefematic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:14 pm

curl around the end of the bumper and be cut off more or less level with the bumper'
I believe Simon is right. I think to remember carefully taking a detailed picture before disassembly but 1 hour picsearch turns up nothing. The rubber was pulled around the bend and cut or reduced or spliced on the bottom part. This reduced part was clamped on to the chrome with a D-formed clamp with two hooked corners going inside the bumper. So if you were laying on the ground looking up you would see the “D” part of the clamp holding the rubber. They sort of look like the clamps holding the sill chrome, just D-shaped. If the pictures ever show up I’ll post here. I ended up using a broad headed black screw to hold the rubber in place, I couldn’t get the old clamps to fasten.
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#17 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:38 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:55 pm
Hi Simon....who is DSJ......what is the book you refer to...Steve
Apologies - Denis Jenkinson, most famous perhaps* for looking not unlike Peter Crespin (I believe there's even a photo to that effect somewhere) :bigrin:

The book is "Jaguar E-type 3.8 & 4.2 6-cylinder; 5.3 V12" by Osprey Publishing. Sadly long out of print, but still available through secondhand through the likes of Amazon:

Highly recommended for his contemporary accounts of E-type ownership and driving.

(*OK he's famous for rather more than that, but if Mr Crespin still has the photo I think it deserves another airing :bigrin: )
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#18 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Gfhug wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Simon, please don't, it wouldn't suit a sensible person like you

Geoff
You could be right - and besides, the owl would play havoc with my Webasto :lol: :lol:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
AshM
Great Britain

#19 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by AshM » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks chaps. I don't know which was more appreciated, the technical help and advice or the banter.

It's some forum this is...

cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#20 Re: Rear Bumper Rubber

Post by Gfhug » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 am

We're drifting off topic, but searching for Denis Jenkinson gave this:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14261/lot/202/. Sold for £19,550 inc. premium. Those were the days, I'll take two please :wink:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic