S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#1 S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by db7gtgrigio » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 am

Hi there, its been a while since posting.....

My S2 recently started showing higher temp than usual on the gauge (but not into red and steam was escaping from expansion tank filler cap. The cap was very old so I replaced it with a new 7ib one. Then steam started escaping from the radiator filler cap. Replaced that. Now after about 5 mins driving steam is coming out of the overflow pipe on the expansion tank.

I just removed the bypass hose from radiator to thermosatat housing and started the engine. No water came out.

Is this evidence that the impellor on the water pump as failed??? I was expecting some water to come out to prove that water is circulating......

If I need a new pump are the replacement ones decent quality and is it a relatively easy job (Access looks OK....)

Mr car is June 1969 build and has the later S2 water pump C30811.

Thanks for any suggestions
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#2 Re: S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by politeperson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 am

I had the water pump fail on my S2 a couple of years ago.

The impeller shattered due to corrosion.

Easy to change as long as your water pump bolts are not corroded in so go easy on them.

When you get the car up to temperatures, you can check circulation by feeling the top hose get warm, then the radiator and the bottom hose in quick succession.

Sounds like you had better take a look as you suggest.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andypreston
United States of America

#3 Re: S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by andypreston » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 am

Hi Chris I recently replaced the water pump on my 69 S2 and removed the bonnet, fan shroud and fans, and then the radiator to access the pump. I think it would be very difficult to do it without removing the radiator.

Good Luck

Andy 69 FhC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#4 Re: S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by Tom W » Sat May 26, 2018 1:30 pm

It’s possible to remove the radiator and fans without removing the bonnet. That should give better access to the water pump. If you have no flow from the water pump, the car will overheat very quickly. I had this when my fan belt snapped. The radiator will still be cold too, as the water isn’t circulating. You can check for water flow by removing the radiator filler and watching the water level as you rev the engine. Mine drops slightly as the revs pick up, then comes back at idle. What condition is the rad in, and are there any air locks? I find my car quite difficult to bleed when I refill the coolant. Usually it looks full when a lot less has gone in than came out, so air’s getting trapped somewhere.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andypreston
United States of America

#5 Re: S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by andypreston » Sat May 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Tom, if you remove the bonnet stays so the bonnet can tip all the way forward it should be possible to remove the radiator that way. Place a couple of blocks of wood under the over riders to keep the bonnet from tipping too far. Have a helper with you when you remove the bonnet stay bolts to hold the bonnet. Do not try this on your own.

I have not done this myself but my local shop did it this way when they removed the radiator to replace the steering rack mounts.

Andy S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#6 Re: S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by Tom W » Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 pm

I’ve swapped the radiator on my S2 without removing the bonnet, or even removing the gas strut. From memory, I removed the fans from the back of the rad first, then removed the rad from the car.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#7 Re: S2 Overheating - Failed water pump???

Post by db7gtgrigio » Mon May 28, 2018 4:05 am

Problem fixed. The water pump was in fact fine. It was that there was inadequate coolant in the system due to an air pocket. Turns out there was only 5 litres in the system out of the required 15.

The problem started when I had a failed expansion tank cap which let out loads of coolant as steam. I was on the road and filled the radiator to what I thought was full at a garage. But obviously didn't get any where near sufficient in.

I took me all of an hour to get 14 litres of coolant into the car by going very slowly and pumping various hoses in the system. Couldn't get the 15 litres that the book says should go in. Not sure why but now performs perfectly in traffic.

I can confirm you can remove the water pump with bonnet radiator and fans in situ. Remove the alternator and bracket and access is OK. The hardest thing is lining up all 3 hoses on the pump on replacement. That is an utter bastard.

I was annoyed with myself for not realising that it was just coolant quantity, but at least in removing the pump is noticed the lower radiator hose was starting to crack. That would be hard to replace with both rad and pump in situ so glad to have sorted that.

The pump on the car was a County aftermarket brand. Not leaking and bearings still running smooth. Ive had car for 9 years and 12,000 miles so they cant be bad quality.
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic