Federal spec air filter

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
whitesnake
Great Britain

#1 Federal spec air filter

Post by whitesnake » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Thought I would post a few photos of my adaption of federal spec air filter.
Now completed my right hand conversion and one of the last jobs was the air filter.
I first modified the rear corner by cutting and beating to shape after offering it up and noting what clearance was required, this was quite easy after I started and I was pleased with the result. Then I noted the position of the brake pipe in relation to the air filter and by heating and panel beating it I shaped it to the clearance required. Next was the filter element, this required trimming in the corner and around the indent for the brake pipe but was easy to do with a dremel blade.

After fitting together I ran the engine to temperature and made sure the engine movement on full revs did not interfere with any pipework or the pedal box.
Pleased with all this as I can use the car whilst I decide whether to go the full 9 yards and change to SU carbs and drum air filter or stick with the strombergs.
Anyway the car is now ready for the season and I can enjoy it.
Steve White
1970 series 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Federal spec air filter

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Steve, you've done a fine job.
Beware of movement that will happen when the car is driven, especially of the engine bearers are a bit old. You may find some catching against throttle linkage or pipework. Not to get you overly concerned, but do some checks to make sure it works in action on the road.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
whitesnake
Great Britain

#3 Re: Federal spec air filter

Post by whitesnake » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes Geoff , I am aware of that, I have fitted new engine mounts and have already road tested it with good results so far!! Will keep an eye on it like everything else on this car as I go along enjoying the drive, having only done 70 miles so far I am wary of everything but it all seems fine for the time being.
Regards Steve.
Steve White
1970 series 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic