Car lower on left hand side

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
catnip
Great Britain

#1 Car lower on left hand side

Post by catnip » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello,

I am trying to get to the bottom of an annoying problem with the S2 OTS 1970. Since my late father in-law rebuilt it, it has never looked right when viewed from the front. It appears to be lower on the right hand side than the left - when viewed from the front).

I did some measurements tonight.

Picture 1:

From the ground to the sill edge (arrowed) the left hand side is 44cm and the right hand side is 42.5cm.

Picture 2:

From the ground to the top of the yellow strut is 57.5cm on left hand side and 56cm on right hand side.

The bonnet appears to fit well to the car, with the same sized gaps all over.

So I conclude the sloping appearance is not due to the bonnet, but the actual car suspension. The length of the suspension damper on the left hand side is longer than on the right hand side.

What would be causing this?
Is there any 'simple' adjustment I can make myself?

I have read about the torsion bars. They are fitted on the correct sides.
Is it possible one could have fitted while the car was under an unequal load on either side?
Has one gone 'soft'?

Any advice appreciated...thanks.
Dan
E-Type Series 2 OTS 1970 (76k miles)
Mk2 3.8 OD 1964 (48k miles)
XJS 5.3 1978 (24k miles)
XK8 Coupe 1996 (32k miles)
XKR Convertible 2010

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Car lower on left hand side

Post by mgcjag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Dan....yes ride height is adjusted via the torsion bars...you need to look in the Service manual at the section on front suspension......it is not diffucult to do so long as you are ok with diy mechanics...it is not just an adgustment..you have to dismantle....put in place some home made setting links with the correct dimension for your model...then reasemble......also look in the manual at where you should be taking measurements from.. Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic