Ignition light does not turn off

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
elliottS
United States of America

#1 Ignition light does not turn off

Post by elliottS » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:10 am

Removed the speedometer and tachometer to fix the heater controls. When I reinstalled everything the Ignition light does not go off. How do I check the alternator and the regulator to determine which one is bad. I have seen some talk about another oil pressure switch but I do not see one and I have checked the brake fluid level sw and the hand brake sw was working fine. Is my next check is to remove the alternator to be check out. Thanks for the help
Elliott
'69 FHC
Elliott Stage
1969 FHC
Silver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Ignition light does not turn off

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Elliott....check out the ignition light warning unit..3AW its a small round silver canister unit under the heater box..have a look on the wireing diagram..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#3 Re: Ignition light does not turn off

Post by angelw » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Hello Elliott,
Further to Steve's comment regarding the 3AW, is your dashboard Volt Metre indicate that the Alternator is charging? The circuit that includes the 3AW is there for no other reason than to indicate that the Alternator is working (generally speaking). The two of the three terminal of the 3AW are marked WL and AL. When the alternator is not charging (engine not running, or faulty alternator) the contact between WL and the third terminal of the 3AW (earth) is in normally closed. When current from the alternator is present at the AL terminal, the contact between WL and Earth is forced to Open via a bi-metal coil (in the standard 3AW). Normally when the 3AW unit fails, the contact between WL and Earth is always open and the ignition light never comes on.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic