What engine and box?

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
autorepairer
Great Britain

#1 What engine and box?

Post by autorepairer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:11 pm

I am new to the forum and have just bought a 1970 series 2 2+2 import LHD, I intend to convert to RHD

First of all apologies, I know this topic has been covered on this board before, but having read most/all of the posts I am still struggling to understand what my options are.

basically I have a 1970 2+2 without an engine or gearbox.

The car originally had a manual gearbox, i would like if possible keep it manual.

I have a XJ6 engine, and as I understand it I would need to change the sump on this,(or cut existing? but I am unsure where to cut) but question, does it need to be the "ribbed" version or "smooth" version? or does it not matter?

The engine I have is an auto box with it, so I would need to change the flywheel, but what is confusing me is what gearbox will fit?

Is the 2+2 different from say a "normal" series 2? will it accept a different manual gearbox because it is slightly longer, or am I off the mark here?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: What engine and box?

Post by Gfhug » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Peter, welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of help here. If you look in the knowledge section you'll see the difference between the normal FHC and the 2+2. In simple terms 9 inches longer and a couple of inches higher roof.
Others who have done the work will chime in, but one of the popular manual gearboxes is the Jaguar manual overdrive as the correct one will fit into the 2+2 and give you the overdrive for cruising (along the motorways, not the seafront on the Riviera!).
The advanced search will help you find results, the manual overdrive sometimes being referred to as MOD.

Good luck and keep asking questions

Edited to add: Here is the correct manual overdrive gearbox in the for sale section:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11898

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: What engine and box?

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi Peter..welcom to the forum....befor you get too far on i would check up how u are going to register the car....what have u actually purchased....a vehicle with a registration....or just a body and parts..i dont know how the DVLA will treat an import that has a replacement engine fitted....re the gearbox a 2+2 is different from the fhc in that it has an extension piece on the rear but also the mainshaft is longer that goes through it.......a jaguar 4 syncro box with a compact type o/d is ideal....beware there are plenty of jag box and o/d but you need the shorter compact A type..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
autorepairer
Great Britain

#4 Re: What engine and box?

Post by autorepairer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 am

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the welcome and the information.

I will have a look through the technical section, good to know the exact difference in length.

Geoff the example gearbox for sale, I would obviously need a bell housing, but I look through the technical posts and read more on it.

Steve, re registering the car, I have the full USA owner certificate with the car, Nova?? also a document from HM Customs saying I can register the car with DVLA, I am hoping all this is OK for me at some stage to get a V5 for the car?

Kind regards

Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#5 Re: What engine and box?

Post by politeperson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 am

This is cheap enough. Second hand engines are always a risk. I spent £70 on mine as it needed reconditioning. Frost damage and corrosion are what you need to ask about of course.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-4-2-E ... SwWe1bJP8E

I know its an auto but I have wondered whether a creative engineer could slice through the bell housing and use the front of the auto gearbox use it as an adapter plate to mate with a Getrag. The Jag gearboxes are getting old and expensive, BMW fitted the Getrag 5 speed to eveything.

You never know!
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: What engine and box?

Post by christopher storey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:59 am

politeperson wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 am

I have wondered whether a creative engineer could slice through the bell housing
The original poster already has an engine so this is not a problem. I do not think your idea of adapting an auto bellhousing is feasible : the auto housing has no clutch cross - shaft provision

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#7 Re: What engine and box?

Post by johnetype » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:16 pm

autorepairer wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:35 am

Steve, re registering the car, I have the full USA owner certificate with the car, Nova?? also a document from HM Customs saying I can register the car with DVLA, I am hoping all this is OK for me at some stage to get a V5 for the car?
In simple terms, no it isn't. You need to prove to the DVLA the age and provenance of the car. For that you'll need an MOT and a letter from an approved source such as the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club verifying the car and it's Heritage Certificate. The challenge here that Steve is hinting at is that with a "new" engine and gearbox the DVLA may not consider the car original enough to give it an age related registration number. There are several posts on here which I suggest you read before approaching the DVLA as once you've started the registration process it's very difficult to go back.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic