Steering rack mounting

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Steering rack mounting

Post by mach2andy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 pm

The pictures show how my passenger side rack mounting was attached when I dismantled the vehicle, but I don't think this was right? You will see that there is a spacer fitted behind the head of the long top bolt, but I think that the spacer arrangement should only be fitted on the drivers side. This long top bolt that has the spacer was just that. A 3" long bolt with 2" of plain portion. I think this should be a fully threaded screw with a plain nut between the 2 plates that make up the rack mounting as in the shorter bottom bolt shown in the bottom picture?
Thanks in advance

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#2 Re: Steering rack mounting

Post by Tom W » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 pm

You should have the tubular spacers on the driver’s side only. The passenger side should have the bolts passing through from the front to back, with washers under the heads that contact the plate on the steering rack. Adjustment for the “level” of contact on the passenger side is provided by the nuts either side of the picture frame. This is better explained in the workshop manual, as well as the correct adjustment procedure.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Steering rack mounting

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi Andy....a couple of photos of how it should be done...they are from a forum post

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic