Is this original....

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Is this original....

Post by mach2andy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:37 am

My engine came with this HT lead sheath fitted. Was this fitted from the factory??
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Is this original....

Post by cactusman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Pretty certain yes is the answer. Early cars had red ones.....later ones were black as yours is.... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul71a
Great Britain

#3 Re: Is this original....

Post by Paul71a » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 am

Definitely yes
Paul Brazier. S2 FHC 1970, silver with blue leather. Oh, and a S1 prototype Lotus Elise and a Ferrari 488 GTB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#4 Re: Is this original....

Post by Red Kite » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:18 am

I think its the last item on this page.....

Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Is this original....

Post by mach2andy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks for your replies men. It seems a bit odd to have plug leads jammed up against one another like this. GM [and I'm sure other manufacturers] have been quite prescriptive about how plug leads should be separated. In particular, they specify that the leads for plugs that sit next to each other in the firing order should not sit alongside each other in the wire separators in case they track across and cause 2 cylinders to misfire one after the other. As much as I like the original look of this conduit, I don't think I'll be refitting it. Although as you can see from the photo, I'm aways off that yet!!
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Is this original....

Post by Heuer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm

That ignition wire conduit was fitted to thousands of E-Type's without causing problems. In fact SNGB have even recreated the very early conduit (for XK's and E-Type engines without lifting eyelets) because of demand. No reason not to fit the original conduit and bunching the HT leads together will not cause problems even with electronic ignition systems like the 123. Suggest you stop looking for problems and put the car together the way Jaguar designed it. If there is a problem when you get it back on the road THEN you can start looking for solutions!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#7 Re: Is this original....

Post by chrisfell » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm

" It seems a bit odd to have plug leads jammed up against one another like this"

Not at all. If there is a danger that the 40,000 volts (30,000 for a standard coil) is likely to earth through the insulation, that indicates poor insulation and a sub standard product.

My car doesn't have the original HT lead tube, but all the leads are zip-tied together. They have been this way for 60,000 miles. The only ignition failure was the coil in this photo, which failed after about 20,000 miles. The car now wears a genuine Lucas sports coil.

Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#8 Re: Is this original....

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:17 am

Jaguar took pains from early models onwards to separate wires from cap to plug, using round Tufnol spacers. In the mid fifties they introduced the famous bar spacer on the D-Type cam cover, which had the additional benefit of holding the leads in front to back sequence for fevered pit lane maintenance during long distance events.

Bear in mind the HT wire used in those days was usually natural rubber coated and sometimes cloth braided and 6 mm or thereabouts in OD. The chances of cross-firing decrease by the square of the separation increase IIRC, so even a small increase in the distance between the two inner wires has a big effect in dropping the potential. Hence by the time you get to modern 7-8 mm or fatter solid core wires, covered with more effective silicone with/without plastic protective outer sleeve, you've got a great barrier even when wires are bundled together. I think the trend to plastic insulation or synthetic rubber happened around the late fifties.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic