Interior questions?

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Interior questions?

Post by mach2andy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 pm

On the outboard corners of both of my seat pans is a hardboard extension piece as shown in the pictures. These pieces are stapled onto the tack strip. Is this original? If this is original, surely these "ears" would have been made of plywood?

Also, my interior had been [quite badly] retrimmed almost entirely in leather. But I don't think thats how it was originally? So can someone tell me which parts were originally trimmed in leather? I'm thinking seats, centre console, and perhaps door panels at most?
Also, the boot boards and sills had been carpeted, but I don't think this is original either?

Thanks in advance
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Interior questions?

Post by mgcjag » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi Andy...my 69 S2 2+2 had the same hardboard pieces on the seats....replaced them with mdf.....seats( part you sit on and backrest) & head reasts and top of the center console only in leather....vinyl on the boot boards....if you are doing you seats yourself i have a lot of photos from BAS on how to trim a seat....pm me with your email adress if needed..... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Interior questions?

Post by mach2andy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks for that Steve.
Also, the door hinge post in my car [pictured] was covered in carpet, but I don't think this was correct? I think it should be vinyl? And the rear wheel arches in my car had some padding on them with [more leather!!] covering applied on top. Should there be some sort of trimmed panel that sits over the arches, or is that only the 2+2 cars??

Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Interior questions?

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Andy...the A post should be Hardura/vinyl covered....the rear wheel arches are vinyl over foam....have a look at https://www.john-skinner.co.uk/jaguar/e ... 2ltr/#trim it shows all models and photos of most parts....are you going to trim yourself.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Interior questions?

Post by mach2andy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Steve
I've stripped, and am half way through refurbishing the seats - repainting, powder coating - new diaphragms foams etc, but I'm certainly not going to recover them. I'll leave that to a proper upholsterer. I like to do as much work on the car as possible myself but [probably like a lot of us] there are limits to my skills.
I've recovered the dash top which took me some time and involved a lot of heating and stretching of vinyl, but as for the rest of it, I'm undecided. And thanks for the link to the Skinners catalogue. I dealt with them a few years ago when I partially re trimmed a big Healey and found them very helpful.
But as you can see, I'm a ways off the interior yet!
ATB
Andy

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic