Horn wiring & lighting relay mod questions

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Horn wiring & lighting relay mod questions

Post by mach2andy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 am

The picture shows 2 relays attached to the LH mudguard. The top one is alternator and the bottom horn. Firstly, I'm pretty certain thats how they were fitted in the factory? The horns were bolted to the bottom of the picture frame with all of the associated wiring contained in the engine bay, again correct I think?
The bonnet plug wiring diagrams that I've been looking at shows pin 4 as horn, but I'm guessing that this is earlier cars? So I'm hoping that I'm going to have 2 spare connections in the plug [horn & fog lamps] to route the heavier duty hot wires needed for the relay controlled headlight mod. Another question? It seems to be common to site the headlight relays where they can only be accessed by removing the sugar scoop which is riveted in place. I'm not sure if I'd be happy with this arrangement, so has anybody else come up with an alternative scheme whereby the relays are more readily accessible?
Thanks in advance.
Andy

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MSM
Great Britain

#2 Re: Horn wiring & lighting relay mod questions

Post by MSM » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Andy

You are correct in your assumptions regarding the 2 existing relays and the horn positions and consequently the 'spare' pins in the bonnet connector.

I have also been thinking about installing the relays for the headlights and like you am concerned about access. Instead of mounting the relays on the vertical face I was considering fitting them and the wiring connector inside a sealed plastic junction box. Access is also possible through the sidelamp aperture and in through the slot in the side of the air inlet in the nose. By extending some of the wiring it would be possible to remove said junction box through the side of the nose for maintenance.

This is in the planning phase at the moment, I need to find a suitable box big enough for the relays and junction block but small enough to fit in through the slot in the side of the nose.
Mike

1969 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Horn wiring & lighting relay mod questions

Post by cactusman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I fitted mine below the sugar scoops......so far no issues :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#4 Re: Horn wiring & lighting relay mod questions

Post by mark10337 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:59 pm

I was just talking about this very thing today. After 7 months in place under the sugar scoops, my high beam relay failed and I was about to add this to the upgrade thread.

From this experience I certainly advocate the added benefit from being in a waterproof enclosure under the sugar scoops or indeed anywhere else that is open.

-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#5 Re: Horn wiring & lighting relay mod questions

Post by AshM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Very interested in this thinking re the headlight mod and where to position relays, etc..

Please keep the posts coming as strategies are developed.

Andy, your giant wiring prints are in the post - parcel force - arriving Monday.

Cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic