Removing Radio Console

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#1 Removing Radio Console

Post by FHCINSC » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm

My E is coming along nicely. I got the carbs tuned and the timing set. Engine compression and clutch and transmission are good.

I’ve been correcting sloppy wiring terminations at the extremities of the car....Mr Electrical Tape apparently wanted to burn the car down. Mr Heat Shrink is here to save the day.

I need to look behind the gauges and to do that I need to remove the radio console. It seems to not budge so I presume there is a retaining bolt somewhere?

Thanks for all the help here!!
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Removing Radio Console

Post by christopher storey » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 pm

It is held by two nuts ( often dome headed ) near the upper forward extremity of the side panels, and/or in your case it looks as though there may also be one on each side at the lower forward area. Having removed the nuts, it is necessary to splay the side panels to clear the studs which the nuts attach to , and you can then move the console rearwards and upwards to clear the gear lever surround

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Removing Radio Console

Post by mgcjag » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Anthony.....the panel with the guages should pivot down.....two knurled plastic headed screws top corners of the panel.....however if the radio console is fitted incorrectly it restricts the panel pivoting down...then as Christopher described above but it may not need removing..just loosen it a bit so the guage panel can swing down ..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#4 Re: Removing Radio Console

Post by FHCINSC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 am