S2 Upper steering column

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
markc555
Great Britain

#1 S2 Upper steering column

Post by markc555 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 am

Does anyone know the difference between RHD and LHD versions of the upper steering column, if indeed there is any? SNG Barrett list different part numbers but the diagram used is the same so you can't see a difference.

(The S2 column is quite different from the S1 one and has a collapsible section of outer "tube" as well as different mountings.)

Have those of you who've done LHD to RHD conversions needed a new upper steering column?

I have a LHD car and want to pick up a spare upper column to investigate modifications required to add electric steering (EPAS). The spare column doesn't have to be in great condition.

I know about the EZ Steer kit but I am a) doing this as a home project and b) not looking to spend that sort of money on it :)

Thanks

Mark
Last edited by markc555 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 S2 FHC (Opalescent Maroon) 1R26120

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: S2 Upper steering column

Post by Gfhug » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:54 am

Steering lock on different side LHD to RHD.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
markc555
Great Britain

#3 Re: S2 Upper steering column

Post by markc555 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks Geoff,

Mine's an a/c equipped car (like yours was) so no lock on the steering column. I guess I could always cut/grind the lock off either a RHD or LHD for my purposes :scratchheadyellow:

Now to find one... shame I can't make it to spares day :sad:

Cheers

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#4 Re: S2 Upper steering column

Post by tinworm » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm

The alloy lock casting is just pushed on to the metal top tube and held in place with a pin which you can drill out - covered in the tech pages on this forum easy to convert LHD-RHD. You can fit a S1 column to your car at further expense of course as you need the lower column too. Easier to modify for electric power steering though ? There is an earlier s1.5 collapsible type on ebay currently in the US (well it was there yesterday) which is affordable including postage - from a guy I have bought from in the past.

hope this info helps

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
markc555
Great Britain

#5 Re: S2 Upper steering column

Post by markc555 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:28 pm

Thanks Barrie,

Funny enough I did see that ebay listing and have put it on my watch list. It certainly qualifies for my "doesn't have to be in great condition" criteria :lol: but it'd clean up just fine and serve my experimental purposes.

Was hoping to find one locally but it's an option.

Cheers

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: S2 Upper steering column

Post by mgcjag » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi Mark...post in our wanted section.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#7 Re: S2 Upper steering column

Post by politeperson » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 pm

I have converted the LHD S2 column to RHD a few times. It is relatively easy. As mentioned, just drill the pin and reposition at 180 degrees bit like doing the LHD/RHD wiper motor conversion.

An S2 column is not interchangeable with an S1 as the intermediate captive nuts in the bulkhead on the upper section are different between S1 and S2 from memory. You can do it though with fabrication.

The S2 column is better as it collapses on hard front impact. That is why some people like them on fitted their S1s.

The S2 upper column is very fragile by design. The broached casing easily becoming out of shape when removed from the car making the upper on lower bearing alignment go out of wack. I have had them in the past not want to turn by hand, however 2 minutes in the vice and a pull and they are back into shape and like new again. So worth checking.

The wavy washer is often broken too, causing the taper bearings to unseat giving loads of column play, so that is worth checking too as it costs pennies.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic