Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#1 Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by FHCINSC » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Hello. I found out recently that my spinners on the rear are on the wrong sides. They are unable to be swapped as the threading on the hub doesn’t allow it. This obviously means that the hubs are on the wrong sides of the car. What would be involved in changing this?
Thank you very much
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi Anthony.......i think the easiest way will be to swop the hub/carrier with the drive shaft from one side to the other.......4 nuts holding inner end of driveshaft to diff.....and lower fulcrum shaft holding carrier to wishbone....you could remove the driveshaft from the hub if you have a press/puller but they are usually difficult to remove....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#3 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by chrisfell » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Unbolt the whole thing, hub, carrier, halfshaft and walk it around the other side. No need to separate the halfshafts from the hub. Simple but heavy. I mounted mine on the wrong side, only noticing when I put the wheels back on and realised from the spinners that the hubs were on the wrong side. Whatever you do, do not drive the car until the hubs are correct. If you do, the spinners will undo, you will watch a wheel overtake you as the car grinds to a halt.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by abowie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:15 am

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:05 pm
.i think the easiest way will be to swop the hub/carrier with the drive shaft from one side to the other.
Brilliant idea.

Take care when removing the outer fulcrum shaft that you don't disturb any shims that might be in there to provide the bearing endfloat. Easiest way to do this is to make up a dummy shaft the same diameter as the fulcrum shaft and exactly the width of the hub carrier. Don't worry if this sounds difficult; it isn't. A wooden dowel will do the trick. Just feed it in behind the fulcrum shaft as you remove it

There are also shims behind the halfshaft that set the camber. You should be fine with leaving these as they are on the basis that both halfshafts should be exactly the same length. You could always check the camber once you're finished to make sure. Adjustment is easy if need be; each shim gives you 1/4 of a degree.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#5 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by Durango2k » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 am

Don‘t the spinners say „offside“ or „passenger side“ or something like that ? Interesting when your car is an LHD....

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by malcolm » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:18 am

Mine don't say that Carsten. Simply have arrows saying which way to undo. They would be correct regardless of LHD/RHD
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#7 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by abowie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:21 am

Durango2k wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 am
Don‘t the spinners say „offside“ or „passenger side“ or something like that ? Interesting when your car is an LHD....

Carsten
It's to confuse the Hun.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by mgcjag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 am

Hi Carsten....yes....if its a Jaguar spinner it should say..... right (off)side....or left (near)side with an arrow (undo) Right/Left side of the car is always the same on rhd or lhd cars.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by 44DHR » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am

If you don’t have a wooden dowel as Andrew said in post #4, just use a length of easily available 15mm domestic copper water pipe, which is easy and soft to drift through.
Cheers,
Dave
P.S. Sorry, just seen that you are in the US, so not sure if you have as easy access to 15mm copper pipe as us in the UK, but worth remembering for UK people working on assembling the fulcrum shafts on the differential.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#10 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by malcolm » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Apologies Carsten, just been out to the car and it does say more on the spinners! It says eg "offside" but in brackets "right" as well as the undo direction, so you can't confuse them.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#11 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by Durango2k » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:25 pm

abowie wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:21 am
Durango2k wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 am

Carsten
It's to confuse the Hun.
Yeah, like Brexit...

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#12 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by FHCINSC » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Hello all. Thanks for the responses.
I may be confused as I don’t know all the terms of the inventory behind the wheel.
It seems that Chrisfell is proposing a method which negates the need for the pipe or dowel. Is that correct and do others concur this would work?
Thanks all
Anthony
PS. Yes in US...car is LHD and the spinners do day left and right on them. While on the subject....American classics which have spinners have a safety wire. Is this ever done on Jags?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#13 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by mgcjag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi Anthony.....i sugested moveing the hub/carrier/driveshaft as a unit......but i didnt give details how to do it....i would recomend reading the service manual so that you understand how everything fits together.....in particular the lower fulcrum shaft that goes through the hub carrier.....there are bearings/seals/spacers/shims all held in place by the shaft.....some will fall out if you remove the hub without useing a dummy shaft as recommend .....and probably even with useing a dummy shaft shims will fall out....so by reading up before hand you will know how it goes together.......Jag spinners dont need lock wire and iv never seen it fitted on one....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#14 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by FHCINSC » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Hello all. Have had a little trouble finding a shop to help me fix this. May have someone now though. We had the car up on the lift and there is some play between the hub and hub carrier on both sides of the car. Is this a guaranteed bad wheel bearing or could it be a spacer/shim issue? Or perhaps not torqued properly.
I’m fairly certain I have receipts for new wheel bearings so I presume there is a good chance they are new.
Here is video.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#15 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by mgcjag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Anthony.....far too much movement....it should only be between 0.002-0.006in full details in the service manual there is no adjustment by tightening.....however it the split pin has been removed and the nut loosened that would cause movement.........The inner and outer bearings are assembled between the hub and carrier and a shim of known dimension (service manual for size) is used initially.....the movement is then measured with a dial guage.....you can then calculate thicknes of shim needed...to achive endfloat....not complicated but you need to read the service manual procedure a few times to understand exactly what needs to be done....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#16 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by FHCINSC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 pm

I managed to get everything swapped from side to side as we discussed here. Thanks to all. There is still some play but a friend with an e-type measured it with his dial gauge. It will have to be a project for another day. For now, I’m happy to be rolling my spinners in the correct directions.
Thanks
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#17 Re: Rear Spinners on wrong sides...hubs reversed.

Post by christopher storey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

When you come to adjust the end float , just to be clear about the thickness of the spacer required to get the correct end float, if you have too much play ( which you do ) you need a thinner not a thicker spacer . I know this is counter intuitive, but it is the way it works

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic