engine running rough series 2 convertible

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
outage
Canada

#1 engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by outage » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Engine removed and replaced all seals and clutch. Have driven about 50 miles since. On Wednesday, Tach went to zero and came back on a few minutes later...No issues with engine. On Thursday, while out, car started to run rough-sputtering, back fire but still running. Managed to get home and checked all connections at coil, distributor and plugs...nothing found. I had filled up car with gas at beginning of week and suspected maybe bad gas so added a solution to get rid of any water. Car has electronic ignition and appears to have not moved since engine replaced. I read a possible problem could be red cap inside distributor. I will remove tomorrow and see about a replacement. Any other solutions???
Plugs appeared black and sootty
regards Alan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by cactusman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Red rotor arms are usually the good ones.....black and sooty plugs suggest an over rich mixture. Check the choke is not stuck on maybe?
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi Alan......just to ad the red rotor arms from the Distributor Doctor are known to be good.....there are a lot of other red rotors available that are suspect copies.......this sort of problem can be difficult to find.....it sounds either electrical or fuel related....so check all connections...coils can brake down when hot.....distributor cap can be faulty..look at the center carbon that contacts the rotor.......fuel pump also a posibility look at the glass fuel bowl to ensure its full and you can hear it tick.....if yoy suspect bad fuel then drain if....never heard of an addative to get rid of water...where does it go :shrug: ...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by cactusman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm with Steve....there is no substance you can add to magic the water away if you have fueled with contaminated fuel! Water and the alkane content of petroleum are immiscible....they won't mix. Water is more dense than fuel so will collect in the bottom of the tank where the pick up is. If your fuel contains ethanol...most does now...then I'd imagine that with sufficient sloshing at least some of the ethanol may wind up in the water but that is by the by.... If you have filled with water contaminated fuel you will need to drain off at least some of the liquid at the bottom of the tank....and avoid snake oil salesmen selling water removal additives :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
outage
Canada

#5 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by outage » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 pm

pulled distributor rotor...showed absolutely no wear...ordered a lucas sport coil and will pick it up Monday...I hope this is the problem
regards Alan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:04 am

The faulty rotor arms show no visible signs. What happens is that they become partially conductive when they get hot , because the plastic is an incorrect material. A test to check the arm is to place a thin sheet of plastic film between it and the centre shaft and see if it stops the trouble. If it does, it is your rotor which is the problem

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#7 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 am

cactusman wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:51 pm
I'm with Steve....there is no substance you can add to magic the water away if you have fueled with contaminated fuel!....and avoid snake oil salesmen selling water removal additives :bigrin:
Where’s Simon the Chemist when we need him? You must have been doodling E-types during orgasmic chemistry lessons Julian :-)

Several common alcohols dissolve/dissolve in water and also petrol. Obviously a single shot of vodka won’t fix fifteen gallons of heavily-contaminated fuel with a pint of immiscible water at the bottom. But ethanol/isopropyl alcohol and others will quite easily flush modest amounts of condensation or contamination through the fuel system whilst remaining flammable/combustible. No snake oil required.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david muir
Scotland

#8 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by david muir » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Acetone's the stuff for combining water and organic solvents i.e. petrol. Lash a couple of litres into the tank and lo....... homogeneous liquid!
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#9 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:10 pm

PeterCrespin wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 am

You must have been doodling E-types during orgasmic chemistry lessons Julian :-)
A Freudian slip ?? Orgasmic ( my emphasis ) chemistry lessons ??? :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#10 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by cactusman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:39 pm

I know that. I was once a chemist. Ethanol is miscible with water and the contents of petrol. However adding water to an ethsnol/alkane mix in anything other than very small quantities will result in water containing some ethanol sinking to the bottom of the tank as a separate layer, as implied by the original post. Other than adding a large quantity of ethanol or similar alcohol there is little that can be done to remove the aqueous layer and there is nothing that can be added to "remove" the water ...i.e. Convert it in some way to something else
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#11 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:11 pm

cactusman wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:39 pm
I know that. I was once a chemist. Ethanol is miscible with water and the contents of petrol. However adding water to an ethsnol/alkane mix in anything other than very small quantities will result in water containing some ethanol sinking to the bottom of the tank as a separate layer....there is nothing that can be added to "remove" the water ...i.e. Convert it in some way to something else..
If there's a bit of condensation or whatever, adding a fuel drying alcohol results in the petrol/alcohol/water forming a single phase mixture that is burned by the engine and thereby 'removed' from the tank. not 'converted' into another substance. Transubstantiation is best left to theologians.

It's all a question of semantics and proportion. Of course, if you go around adding water you'll get a puddle of it at the bottom as you describe, but there's no indication that happened here. Personally I am extremely skeptical of the bad petrol hypothesis anyway, especially as it ran rich, but adding a gasoline 'drying' product is a reasonable tactic in winter or after prolonged non-climate-controlled storage.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
outage
Canada

#12 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by outage » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

I picked up new coil...lucas sport model , installed and no difference, fuel pump does tick, glass full, checked all leads/connections and appear ok. Will try the suggestion about rotor. Mine is blue and shows no signs of wear. I looked at distributor and appears ok with no wear. Will try wires tomorrow and then plugs.Grasping at straws-I took my ignition out of the circuit but no effect on rough engine. Do I do a compression test on engine ??? as maybe its a mechanical issue ; not electrical??
regards Alan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
outage
Canada

#13 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by outage » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 pm

It should have said"removed ignition kill switch circuit from coil" as grasping for straws.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#14 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:12 am

Alan, have you taken the tachometer out of the ignition circuit? You said earlier on that all was well then the tachometer needle behaved erratically prior to running rough. There is a connector that goes from the back of the tachometer. Make sure that is connected properly and the contacts clean. If all is ok, unplug the tachometer and using a link, join the 2 white wires together. That will remove the tachometer from the system and enable the car to run. Note this is from memory so someone else might want to confirm what I have said.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#15 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by ralphr1780 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am

Alan, a ticking fuel pump does not necessarily imply fuel is properly delivered to the carbs.
I would double check that by unhooking the fuel feed line to the carbs (after the glass bowl), put it in a plastic bottle and turn ignition on to check the flow.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#16 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by AshM » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 am

Correct Angus - plug has white in/out plus green. White connected across loom half of plug will remove the Tach. from Alan's circuit.
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#17 Re: engine running rough series 2 convertible

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks Ash!