Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#1 Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by FHCINSC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Hello all. Thank you as always for the help here. I had posted before about the fact that I always arrive at my destinations in my FHC smelling like a spark plug. I finally realized that a big part of the problem is that I had no rubber boot under the leather shifter cover and the leather was leaking air. I have procured a rubber boot but it seems that it will be difficult to install it.

Am I going to have to lift the center console to do this correctly? Remove the radio console too? That makes me very sad.

Can you tell me what the metal ring is that you see me moving at the start of this video? The ring doesn’t seem to have screw holes so I don’t see how it could relate to the rubber boot.

Thank you!
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 am

Hi Anthony....you need to remove the center console.....the rubber gaiter sits on top of the metal cover over the gearbox and held in place by tbe metal retainer.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bfastr
United States of America

#3 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by Bfastr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm

an original S2 rubber boot before replacement. note the metal ring with slotted screws that holds it down

Bob F
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by Monkeyfinger » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

I've just done this job. As already stated, the radio console and tunnel will need to come off, but not massive jobs. I also found, and as pointed out elsewhere in the forum, that the S3 boot is the correct version.

Also, you will probably find that under the gearbox cover, you are missing the large foam rubber pad that sits on top of the gearbox. I would suggest you check that at the same time, as it will have a massive effect on the fumes.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#5 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by FHCINSC » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks all. Before I dig into taking the car apart, I wanted to ask about this gap I have between the radio console and the center console. I presume that something isn’t the right part or that perhaps a PO modified or cut the center console. I’m betting it was to allow an easier install of the stereo console.
In any event, I don’t see a good way to fix it now. I don’t see how I could slide the center console forward because of the raised shifter area.

Thanks Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi Anthony....this area can be challenging to sort out....first does your instrument panel drop down fully if you undo the two knurled screws in each top corner.......quite often the radio panel sits too high to allow it to drop down....see how that looks first..also your gear lever surround looks like it may have been retrimmed in leather..if so it makes it slightly larger.......you will just have to move it all about for the best if not perfect fit....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#7 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by FHCINSC » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:50 am

So I got the center console out of the way. I’m still a bit confused about the rubber boot. The holes in the rubber boot line up with the holes in the metal just fine. I just assume there should be a plate that holds the rubber down. I have this metal ring but I assume this metal ring is for the leather boot not the rubber one since it doesn’t have screw holes in it.
Thanks all

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#8 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:42 am

The ring you have should be glued into the base of the leather boot. Then it will neatly be retained under the 2 spring clips that can be seen on the underside of the console in your second picture. The boot should not be just glued in like you currently have it. As you correctly state, there is another similar looking ring to hold the rubber down with screws. I believe these will be readily available from the usual suppliers.
Last edited by Monkeyfinger on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#9 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 am

The ring you have should be glued into the base of the leather boot. Then it will neatly be retained under the 2 spring clips that can be seen on the underside of the console in your second picture. The boot should not be just glued in like you currently have it. As you correctly state, there is another similar looking ring to hold the rubber down with screws. I believe these will be readily available from the usual suppliers. Attached photo is of my leather boot which I replaced recently. I had just peeled the leather off the ring.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#10 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:39 am

And apologies for the double post, but I can't delete it!
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
FHCINSC
United States of America

#11 Re: Rubber Shifter Cover Install

Post by FHCINSC » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:21 am

Thanks so much for the help here. I believe I have all the parts needed now. Gotta get to work.
Anthony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic