Cooling fan problem

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Cooling fan problem

Post by mach2andy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:11 pm

One of my cooling fans works fine the other does not. It turns slowly at best, sometimes not at all. I've taken it apart, and there is nothing obviously wrong with it. The brushes look OK and the little spring that tensions them is present. I've removed the armature, and cleaned up the commutator, but to no avail. There is no wear in the bearings. Any suggestions? Has anybody had one of these overhauled?
ATB
Andy

Addendum. I've found some pics on the internet that indicate that the surface of the brushes should be ridged, whereas mine are completely flat. So maybe my brushes are the issue?
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cooling fan problem

Post by tim wood » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Took mine apart as I went through the cooling system. They are very simple. You’re correct the brushes are ridged. Mine were also flat and worn. Make sure that the insulation is present and the spring assembly that pulls the brushes inward.
If I recall you can buy an overhaul kit which includes new brushes, springs, and insulation.
Of course the armature must be free to spin without resistance.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cooling fan problem

Post by JerryL770 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm

You should measure the resistance of the stator coils. If you have an open circuit, then the motor is duff.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#4 Re: Cooling fan problem

Post by mach2andy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:54 am

I changed the brushes [Lucas Part # 743171] on my fan motor and the fan was as recalcitrant as ever. I took the end casing off again and momentarily powered the motor and noticed that there was random sparking where the armature windings terminate at the commutator segments. I took the armature out yet again and found that 90% of these wires were loose. I re-soldered tham all, and hey presto the motor now works fine. So I guess I must have done the right thing? If anybody has to do this job, I found that an old fashioned soldering iron worked better than my mini gas powered soldering torch.
ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#5 Re: Cooling fan problem

Post by johnetype » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:43 am

Great that you fixed it. Just to add that the brushes are ridged to help them bed in. As they wear, they'll become flat. Likewise you can fit flat brushes from the get go and they'll work fine in my experience.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic