Ugly seat mechanism

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#1 Ugly seat mechanism

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:49 pm

My Series 2, 2+2 has just had the front seats recovered and unfortunately the black metal hinge reclining mechanism detracts from the overall appearance of the seats. This is not helped by the black plastic covers which on both sides of the seats are either missing or broken.
Has anyone tried to improve the appearance of their seats by simple modification or is there a kit available on the market that would help improve the look of the mechanism?

Many thanks,

Tim - 1970 Series 2, 2+2 (in course of restoration)
1965 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#2 Re: Ugly seat mechanism

Post by 288gto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi Tim,

You might be able to get some original S2 metal hinge covers which are a much sturdier and nicer item than the plastic ones. Richard Smith sometimes has the metal ones but they aren’t cheap for a set of 4.
If the recline levers are tatty, replacement ones aren’t that dear.
Some people fit MX5 seats for better support and comfort but I’m assuming that having had your original ones re covered you want to stick with those.
Have a look at Chris Vines blog, he refurbished his original S2 seats.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Ugly seat mechanism

Post by mgcjag » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi Tim..recovered my 2+2 seats a while ago and sat on the bench the brackets do look ugly.....i just refitted new plastic covers.....my recline lever was the flat black type so i swaped them for a pair of S3 chrome levers i picked up cheap but cut off the rear section......once the seats are in the car they sit low and the sill covers up most so im ok with them.....Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Drive35
Great Britain

#4 Re: Ugly seat mechanism

Post by Drive35 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:43 am

Hi Tim. Hope the restoration is going well. By coincidence, I've got both front seats out at the moment to replace all the foam and try to repair one of the recline mechanisms. Mine has metal covers on the sides, but even with new plastic ones, you could paint them and the recline bar to match the seat or trim colour.
Geoff
1970 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Ugly seat mechanism

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for all your replies.
I painted the mechanism and recline bar grey, in the end, to match the seats...........doesn't look too bad, in my humble opinion! I found Chris Vine's Blog particularly useful.
Will probably, at some stage, change the recline lever for a slightly better looking one, possibly a Series 3 end, as suggested.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic