STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#1 STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MichaelDesna » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:33 pm

My half restored E type that I just acquired from a restorer hasn't run in 6 years but it was "running when parked". The fuel system is now completely dry. I've changed all the filters, put fuel in it, and want to try starting it up. Do I need to prime the fuel system and/or fuel pump in any way or do I just crank the engine until the pump gets gas into the carburetors ? Thanks !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#2 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by Tom W » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

The fuel pump is electric. If you turn the ignition on, the fuel pump will run and self prime the system. When it stops ticking, the float bowls are full.

However, if the car hasn’t been run in years, things may be gummed up. If the needle valves are not sealing, you’ll risk fuel overflowing.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Just to add..if it hasnt run in 6 years then oil/pressure is more important......does engine turn over by hand...not seized.......pull all spark plugs.....make sure you have oil on the dipsick......disconnect fuel pump and turn over on the key till you see oil pressure on the guage.......now your good to get fuel connected and try to start...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MarekH » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm

There is no point cranking the engine if there is no fuel in the float bowls. You'll simply thrash the battery, heat the battery cables, but it won't fire up until petrol gets into the cylinders.

Switch the ignition on so the fuel pump runs and fills the carburettor float bowls. Only then is there any point letting the engine turn over.

The same is true whether it has stood for six years empty or six hours on a hot day.

The correct amount of fuel is only metered out when the float bowls are exactly full, not overfilled, nor partly empty. We know that fuel injected cars start "on the button" every time and the only difference is that the amount of fuel they meter out is computer controlled whilst the carburettored car relies on mechanical components to do the same thing.

For a car without a fuel return line, the SU pump handily slows down and stops ticking when it has filled the float bowls, so this is how you know it is safe to turn the key further on to the last position and attempt a start. So if it keeps pumping fuel - and you're not using it - worry where it might be disappearing to.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#5 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MichaelDesna » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 am

Thanks Tom, Steve, and Marek for all that good information. I'm going to try to start it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
:smile:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#6 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MichaelDesna » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Well, I tried starting the car today. When I turned the key on there was no noise from the fuel pump at all. I tried cranking it a bit and even though then engine turned over there was no fuel in the glass bowl. I checked the power to the fuel pump with a tester and there was 12 volts. So I think the fuel pump is bad. What do you guys think ? Also, do you recommend the standard fuel pump (AZX1308) or the electronic one (AZX1308EN) from Barratts for my car (1971 Series 2, 4.2, 2+ 2) ?
Thanks !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#7 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by 288gto » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:27 pm

Have you tried tapping the fuel pump with the handle of a screwdriver? This sometimes jolts them back into life. You should hear a ticking that gradually gets slower and stops. If it keeps ticking you either have a leak, a blocked tank filter or no fuel.
As mentioned above no point cranking away if there is no fuel at the carbs.

If you do buy a new one, the electronic one is better as this does away with the points set up that normally causes a problem especially if the car is stood for any length of time. I'm sure Marek who posted above was selling the parts to convert your original one.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#8 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MichaelDesna » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:26 am

Hi Simon,
I'm going to give that a try tomorrow with the screwdriver. Also, do you know which terminal on the unit is the earth (ground) ? Mine has one terminal in the rear and one in the front. I'm wondering of the previous owner disconnected it and reconnected the wires incorrectly because it was running when I bought it 6 years ago. What do you think ?
Thanks,
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#9 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by 288gto » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 am

Hi Mike,

The terminal on the end of the pump is the positive. The terminal on the metal body of the pump is negative.
You say you have already tested the 12v positive supply and that is ok. I would also check you have a good earth

Simon
Last edited by 288gto on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#10 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MichaelDesna » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi Simon,
I tried tapping on the pump to get it going and nothing happened. I again tested the wires to the pump and there is 12.8 volts power when the ignition is turned on and the wires to the pump are connected correctly. I just removed the pump and it was completely dry. So I will be getting a new one from Barratts USA here.
Thanks for your counsel.
Mike

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MichaelDesna
United States of America

#11 Re: STARTING CAR WITH FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY...

Post by MichaelDesna » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:07 am

Just an update, gents. I got the new fuel pump in and the car started right up ! But after having to replace a cracked and broken rear exhaust manifold, it is definitely running too rich so now I got to take care of that issue.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic