Engine noise

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Engine noise

Post by mach2andy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 am

My newly overhauled VSE engine turned out to have a serious defect - one of the head stud threads in the bottom of the block was weak. Having removed and refitted the head to fix this issue, I now find that when I start the engine, at the moment that the engine kicks as it fires, there is a very slight metallic rattle from the front of the engine. This noise lasts for a spilt second and disappears as soon as the engine stabilises at idle. To eliminate the alternator and water pump I have disconnected them and fired the engine briefly and the noise is still apparent. Great care was taken keep as much tension as possible on the top chain whilst the work was done, and also to ensure that nothing extraneous entered the timing cover. So, I think the only possible reason for this noise is that I have not tightened the top chain enough. I now have the proper tool, but am wondering if I am going to be able to see enough to retighten the chain through the breather hole without removing the cam covers? So, any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

I've only added the photo because everyone like a nice shiny engine pic!
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Engine noise

Post by christopher storey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 am

Andy ; it is easier if you remove the cam covers, but ( if you have slim and long fingers ) it may just about
be possible to feel the chain tension on either side through the dome cover aperture . It's worth a try, anyway, as you have to take the dome off in any event

Before you do so , however, it is worth considering this possibility : the lower chain is tensioned in part by the hydraulic tensioner on the lower right side ( left as you look at it from the front ) of the timing case. This is operated by oil pressure , and if this noise is only happening at the instant the engine starts i.e. before any pressure has built up, but not thereafter, this may be the problem. The tensioner IIRC should be held out as well by a spring loading and a detent, but if it has only just been reassembled, it may not as yet have come out sufficiently far to "lock" it fully out .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Engine noise

Post by mgcjag » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:17 am

Hi Andy...yes tensioning just through the breather is quite easy......you can always use a screwdriver to check chain movement.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic