Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
BobKTX
United States of America

#1 Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by BobKTX » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 am

Does anyone have a drawing or diagram of the wiring for the dashboard switch bank? My switches and the panel are in poor condition, so I have purchased a set of all then rocker switches already set in a new panel.

As you likely know, the number of connections to be detached and re-attached to the new panel are numerous, to say the least. My plan is to attack one switch and one wire at a time, but there is limited room and I suspect the wiring is not abundant, so I'd like to have a concise drawing (hand drawn) or wiring diagram as backup before I dive in.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by mgcjag » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 am

Hi Bob.....is your new switchbank from an E type...or XJ6....there could be some wireing differences anyway.....and check the part number of each switch to make sure its the same and has same internal contact configuration..if your doing one switch at a time it should be fairly easy to photograph the wires on each switch then swop ....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SimonBrown
Great Britain

#3 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by SimonBrown » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi Bob,
I have just changed my switch panel and although it looked daunting to start it was really quite straightforward. I photographed each switch and swapped them over one by one
Simon
Simon Brown
1969 S2 OTS
1998 XK8 Coupe
2008 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Icon
1991 Mini Cooper 1.3i

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#4 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by Robsan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 pm

do they push forward out of the dash ? therefore ould need to pussh forward and free to remove and replace wires ?

if you check out knowledge base there is a jpg that relates to series 2 dash wiring.......................... could be just the thing you need ?

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=700

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BobKTX
United States of America

#5 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by BobKTX » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:19 am

SimonBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:34 pm
Hi Bob,
I have just changed my switch panel and although it looked daunting to start it was really quite straightforward. I photographed each switch and swapped them over one by one
Simon
Good to know. I just received a Wiring book that I purchased from a UK seller and the first page I turned to had a blown up wiring diagram of the switch panel, albeit reversed for a RHD Jag, but perfectly understandable. I will take plenty of pics too before I start unplugging one switch at a time.

Did you also replace the facia panel? Is there enough wiring slack to have both panels beside each other and pull one wire per switch at a time?
Thanks

Bob

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by Gfhug » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 am

BobKTX wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:19 am
I just received a Wiring book that I purchased from a UK seller and the first page I turned to had a blown up wiring diagram of the switch panel, albeit reversed for a RHD Jag,

Bob
Are you sure it is reversed and not being viewed from behind the panel? If you are wiring the panel you would be doing it from behind, hence how some of the diagrams are shown.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#7 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the instrument panels are opposite hand LHD vs RHD. Its definitely the case on Series 1.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#8 Re: Dashboard switches wiring diagram

Post by 288gto » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Series1 Stu wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:22 pm
I'm pretty sure the instrument panels are opposite hand LHD vs RHD. Its definitely the case on Series 1.

Regards
The only difference I can find on the S2 legend strip is the addition of heated rear window on the far right for a Fhc. There doesn’t appear to be a different part number for LHD and RHD :shrug: I might be wrong though.
Interestingly C28583 on Barratts “suitable for” only lists E types so I suspect other models might have had a different arrangement?

Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic