S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

tinworm
Great Britain

#21 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by tinworm » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Last edited by tinworm on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#22 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by Richardhealey » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:28 pm

If we are looking for numbers for a RHD bracket, then I’d put my name down.
Cheers,
Rich
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#23 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by tinworm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 am

I don't believe the RHD bracket differs markedly from the LHD . In fact I think it is only the 'D' shaped hole for the ignition switch that is different - or the switch would be upside down with the wrong bracket. The upper steering column casting was turned depending on which side drive was required. If you turned just the bracket and not changed the column you would re-drill the fixing holes in the opposite pattern and maybe carve away a bit of the flange to allow the wiring to run down the column. Mike Cassidy mentions some of this in his RHD conversion data elsewhere on the forum.
To recap - if you have a RHD conversion where the above mods to the bracket have been done buying a RHD bracket is not going to fix anything.
I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better !

Barrie
1968 E-type roadster, 1964 E-type fixed head 1995 Ferrari 355 1980 Ferrari 308 1987 V8 90 Landrover 1988 Bedford rascal van 1943 Ford GPW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#24 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by mgcjag » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:34 am

These covers are available from some of the usuals.....I assume to cover the metal bracket as shown above..i have read that there was never a Jaguar part number for these...anyway a good cover to hide up a home made bracket...or a laser printed one.......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#25 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by johnetype » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:05 am

tinworm wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:08 am
I don't believe the RHD bracket differs markedly from the LHD . In fact I think it is only the 'D' shaped hole for the ignition switch that is different - or the switch would be upside down with the wrong bracket. The upper steering column casting was turned depending on which side drive was required. If you turned just the bracket and not changed the column you would re-drill the fixing holes in the opposite pattern and maybe carve away a bit of the flange to allow the wiring to run down the column. Mike Cassidy mentions some of this in his RHD conversion data elsewhere on the forum.
To recap - if you have a RHD conversion where the above mods to the bracket have been done buying a RHD bracket is not going to fix anything.
I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better !

Barrie
I don't believe the upper steering column is turned. On a LHD car the ignition switch if attached to the steering column does so to its right. (There's photos in the Jag Lovers link that Steve posted earlier) On a RHD car the ignition switch is also to the right of the column. When I converted my car I'm sure I just moved the upper steering column over from one side to the other without turning it over - note we're talking about upper steering columns without steering locks here.

As a result the bracket will be the same for LHD and RHD cars as it is always installed so the switch is to the right of the column and the "D" shaped hole will have the correct orientation.

Hopefully I can buy your bracket and prove this is so and get SNG to scan it!

John
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#26 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by tinworm » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Looking into these brackets a bit further - the photo shown by Steve above shows the bracket I believe which was fitted to the S1.5 cars (and early S2) without the steering lock housing at the top of the upper column . As can be seen in Steve's photo the bracket has an additional tube which locates around the top of the column . This was removed on my bracket (which was an interim thing) when the steering lock casting was added to the column and the bracket is secured to the top face of it by three small screws. When the steering lock was used the bracket wasn't required. If the steering locks eventually become unavailable (I don't know if this is likely or not) this bracket could be used to retrofit to cars to use the separate switch and still look period - thats my take on it anyway.
part numbers for Brackets
C29129 RH
C29128 LH (mine above)

upper steering column part numbers
C28542 RH
C28543 LH

Barrie
ps
Also noticed some of the earlier brackets were brass - mine is steel. S2 with the steering lock and S3 had the top cover without the arm to hold the switch which I assume is interchangeable with this bracket

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#27 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by tinworm » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Just to let everybody know I have had several people contact me about this bracket. I have withdrawn the bracket from sale. Thanks

Barrie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BobKTX
United States of America

#28 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by BobKTX » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm

I had been hoping to buy it but give SNG and Moss the opportunity to measure/scan it for reproductions if they were interested. I wasn’t looking to make any money off it it, just give the marketplace the opportunity to get this part in the future. But it seems my dream of having it to install aren’t going to happen any time soon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tinworm
Great Britain

#29 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by tinworm » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:23 pm

I messaged Richard Smith about this bracket over the weekend and he has just got back to me. He says he has only been asked for this bracket 2 or 3 times in the last 35 years so he does not think it is worthwhile tooling up for it. If anyone disagrees with this please let Richard know then he will consider making some. I assume he has stock of used brackets too as I was not required to send a pattern.
I assume none of those above who are in need have contacted Richard prior to this ?

Barrie

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#30 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by mgcjag » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:01 pm

As of Sept Richard Smith did not have any.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BobKTX
United States of America

#31 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by BobKTX » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:42 pm

I had been messaging about my search for this part on another forum jag-lovers.com and the owner of a business, Michael Frank from Cool Cat Corp - https://www.coolcatcorp.com/, messaged me to say if I was able to buy the part he would get it laser scanned and then have the scan inverted so that he could produce both LHD and RHD drive versions for sale. I'm not the first person on that forum to be looking for this part. In fact, another member of that forum that had searched for this part had notified me of this posting over the weekend. He ended having to purchase a used steering column just to rescue this part.

So I'm interested in the part for my 69 Series 2 FHC, but while I'd like to acquire it, I'm willing to loan it out to a business that wants to create this part for all future users who will want one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#32 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by DazbodS2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi All,

In the absence of the bracket discussed, I am now considering fitting the nos Britax unit with steering lock I recently obtained. Can any one please confirm:

1. When the Britax unit was fitted as original equipment was the ignition key a different pattern to the door locks as I know understand was the case?

2. Rather than fit the securing shear bolt which came with the unit, are non shear bolts available to fit in its place, what is the thread/diameter of an equivalent replacement bolt?

Any guidance appreciated.

Regards

Darren
Darren - 1970 S2 FHC Signal Red.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#33 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by Gfhug » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 am

Hi Darren, yes a different key style to the doors. Do you not have one with the lock?
Yes, you’ll be able to fit a standard bolt, though you may need to use more of a grub screw type than a normal hex headed bolt. I think it’s 1/4 inch UNF but will have to check when next in the garage, checked it is 1/4 UNF. The shear bolt is of a different shape to a normal bolt, if you’re prepared to do a little bit of work on a bolt or two, even cut a slot in it to become a slotted screw head. Just accept you’ve got a small amount of work if not using the shear bolt.
I’ve got a cheese headed slotted screw to try. Or you can always use a shear bolt and not shear it!
And follow advice from Steve below

Geoff
Last edited by Gfhug on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#34 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by mgcjag » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 am

Hi Darren...this post may be of help..... http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 083a9a709b
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#35 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by Red Kite » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:46 pm

This is mine

Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#36 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by DazbodS2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Gfhug wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 am
Hi Darren, yes a different key style to the doors. Do you not have one with the lock?
Yes, you’ll be able to fit a standard bolt, though you may need to use more of a grub screw type than a normal hex headed bolt. I think it’s 1/4 inch UNF but will have to check when next in the garage, checked it is 1/4 UNF. The shear bolt is of a different shape to a normal bolt, if you’re prepared to do a little bit of work on a bolt or two, even cut a slot in it to become a slotted screw head. Just accept you’ve got a small amount of work if not using the shear bolt.
I’ve got a cheese headed slotted screw to try. Or you can always use a shear bolt and not shear it!
And follow advice from Steve below

Geoff
Many thanks for taking the time to investigate and reply. My Britax does have a single key with it, I just hope blanks are still available so I can get a spare cut. I only asked about the ignition key being different as the original non steering lock ignition switch for which I was after the bracket, has the same key as the doors.

The reason I was considering replacing the shear bolt was only because I want to ensure the Britax unit is easily removable and wasn’t sure of the level of torque that would shear the head.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#37 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by DazbodS2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 am
Hi Darren...this post may be of help..... http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 083a9a709b
Appreciate you digging this out for me thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#38 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by Gfhug » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Darren, keys blanks are available but go to a good locksmith not a local Timpsons. You can generally find the number somewhere on the lock and they can cut from the original code instead of replicating a worn key.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DazbodS2
Great Britain

#39 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by DazbodS2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 pm

Gfhug wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 pm
Darren, keys blanks are available but go to a good locksmith not a local Timpsons. You can generally find the number somewhere on the lock and they can cut from the original code instead of replicating a worn key.

Geoff
Cheers Geoff will do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#40 Re: S2 Ignition Switch Bracket

Post by Gfhug » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:33 am

Darren, just to say that quoting uses up valuable server space and in general we are asked to either edit the amount quoted or not quote at all.
I hope you get the lock sorted

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic