Plastic air vents

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Plastic air vents

Post by mgcjag » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi All...just seen this on Jag lovers...someone makeing them in the UK......https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/series- ... nts/399155

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Plastic air vents

Post by Gfhug » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:39 pm

He needs to join this forum and offer those vents and maybe other bits? :yellow:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#3 Re: Plastic air vents

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Lol...obviously you missed my post from June 2020. I already have a 3D printed version of this part .

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... c4#p134059
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Plastic air vents

Post by Gfhug » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:17 pm

But has he beaten you to offer the items for sale? :wink:
Go on, undercut his price :bigrin:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#5 Re: Plastic air vents

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:36 pm

Ha...well, I certainly wouldn't step on anyone's toes with this, particularly a fellow owner. I can only say, that if anyone is interested in this as a part to purchase, feel free to send me a message and we can discuss.

I operate a consumer grade 3D printer in a domestic environment, so I think my overheads are likely to be significantly less, which is likely to benefit my pricing...
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Plastic air vents

Post by Richardhealey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 pm

David is this gentleman’s name and what a nice chap he is too. He doesn’t actually manufacture them himself, but had the inspiration to get the parts remade. I’ve already suggested he makes himself known on here as I figured there would be some good interest. He’s posted other useful YouTube videos as well.
Cheers,
Rich
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

croco
Great Britain

#7 Re: Plastic air vents

Post by croco » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:06 am

I am the alleged “nice gentleman” Richard generously wrote about and I produced the YouTube video that has recently been posted. I only produced the vents for my own S2 2+2 car which I have owned since 1976 and have recently completely renovated. I was frustrated that my vents were broken many years back and I had never been able to get replacements and I was interested in seeing what 3D printing could do so have invested time and money in the necessary various iterations to get to this stage. The vents we have made are very close good working replicas. I have made certain design changes to make them more robust than the originals but the outer shroud can still fit over any existing original base unit if that is all that is missing and is a close to exact match. Whilst I obviously produce the turning vanes and internal operating arm as separate pieces I have enlarged slightly the pins and holes as the originals were undersized and easily broke. The ones I have produced are more substantial and should last much better but they cannot then fit as like for like replacements for any missing original parts as the pin and hole sizes are different. They could be made as original if required but I wouldn’t want to guarantee long term performance. The surface finish and profile of the blades is slightly different from the original but this difference cannot be seen in the unit and does not adversely affect performance. The unit is made from PETG plastic and is stable and robust.

If anyone is interested I would prefer to make them in small batches so there would be a couple of weeks build time probably and I can offer the complete unit at £75 plus delivery and the outer shroud by itself for £50. I didn’t intend making these for sale and there is a set up cost and time and material element that wouldn’t make it worthwhile to produce them any cheaper unfortunately. I am assuming everyone will have the original metal base that the plastic unit fits on but if not I could also print these if required at additional charge. If you are interested in ordering email me please.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic