Body door & window seals

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#1 Body door & window seals

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I am needing to replace all the perished rubber door and window seals on my 2+2 (inc. bumper seals & Furflex window seals). The quarterlight seals are missing altogether so I am at a loss as to what section rubber these are.
The easiest option might well be to go for a complete kit from someone such as BAS International or Aldridge Trimming but wondered whether buying the seals separately, from the likes of Woolies or COH Baines, might be a better, and possibly slightly cheaper, option? This has the disadvantage that I would have to measure the lengths (most are sold by the metre) and ascertain the profiles myself. Has anyone any pointers?
Lastly, has anyone had experience of using Phoenix Trim or Edgware Motor Rubber & Trim?
:thankyouyellow:
Tim

1970 ex.U.S. Series 2, 2+2, in course of restoration
1965 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by angelw » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Hello Tim,
I doubt that BAS or Aldridge sell seal kits, but the usual suppliers of After Market Parts do. However, the correct, original section seal for the B pillar of a 2+2 is not supplied by any, is my experience, but another section that does the job if it were soft enough, is.

Following are the seal sections used in a 2+2. Don't be concerned that its labeled for a Series 3; they are the same for your car. The seal in the RH column labeled BD28434 is the correct section for the B pillar, but its the seal section in the LH column labeled BD20500 that's supplied by the usual suppliers.

The following pictures show the BD20500 section that's supplied as a B pillar seal. The seal in the pictures is made from two densities of rubber. The area circled in Red in the picture immediately below is quite hard, with the remainder quite soft. If you're supplied such a seal and install it "as is", you will end up with a door slammer for sure.

I've seen examples of this seal with the area shown between the Red lines in the next picture, cut out completely, so as to have the door close without applying unreasonable force. When you have to purchase a seal that's supposed to be fit for purpose and then have to mutilate it, its tantamount to buying a dog and then having to bark for it.

Therefore, I would check with whomever you purchase the seals from as to how the B pillar seal in particular is constructed. The seal in the above pictures was from SNG Barratt. I reported the matter to them, but I'm not sure if they have rectified it or not. This seal from XK Unlimited, now Moss, is made totally out of soft rubber and works.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks Bill..........that's very helpful
Tim

1965 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#4 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:39 pm

I am in the process of compiling a list of all my damaged and missing seals but an anomaly has cropped up.
The Upper 'B' post seal & quarterlight hinge seal is listed by suppliers for the FHC but generally not for the 2+2.
Martin Robey originally listed this seal as R10 in their old catalogue but I see that from their website this is no longer available. I see no reason why the seals, 2 for each side, should not be necessary for the 2+2.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Tim

1965 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:18 am

Hi Tim...i have replaced these in my 2+2...the part number is BD17071/2 its on SNGB website and in their parts catalogue...page353.....showing as out of stock at SNG..but google search brings up others and i assume Bains could have it
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks Steve.
Order placed today for all the seals with SC Parts, (did I hear an audible gulp from some members!?)
Well, true they have had mixed reviews and have always tended to be a bit pricey but, for this month only, they are matching (or bettering in my case!) any price from their competitors, or alternatively 20% off all parts.
Tim

1965 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#7 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by angelw » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:47 pm

Tim Wrote:
Order placed today for all the seals with SC Parts
Hello Tim,
When you say "all seals", are you referring to a complete seal kit, or just the ones you mentioned in your earlier Post?

If a complete kit, I would be interested to know if they supply the correct cross section for the B Pillar seal, BD28434, as shown in the seal cross section sheet I attached to an earlier Post, or do they supply the BD20500 cross section and label it as BD28434 like most of the other suppliers. If they do supply the BD20500 section, is it soft throughout, or constructed using two densities of rubber as shown in my earlier Post. If yes to the two densities of rubber, I suspect you will end up with a door slammer if the seal is installed without modification.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Bigcatfrankie
Great Britain

#8 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by Bigcatfrankie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:36 am

Hi Bill,
No, it is not the complete seal kit. It's generally everything for the doors/windows, quarterlights, sills, bumpers and bonnet seal. It excludes the windscreen, rear door and window.
I suspect I WILL end up with a "door slammer" as I wasn't going to argue with the price............and, basically I want to get the car finished and enjoy the experience of driving it before I get any older!
If, when the seals arrive, hopefully next week, the door seals are along the lines you recommended, I will let you know.
Tim

1965 Austin Healey 3000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#9 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by Bob. » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:11 pm

Re 2+2 B post seal BD28434/1
angelw wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:06 pm
This seal from XK Unlimited, now Moss, is made totally out of soft rubber and works.
Sadly not any more it seems - although the Moss UK website clearly shows a fully foam structure seal, what I received today was yet another example of the extended solid rubber lower section type Bill shows in post#2 above and similar to those I have had from both Baines and SNGB over the past 4 years - all useless.
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#10 Re: Body door & window seals

Post by angelw » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:01 am

Bob Wrote:
Sadly not any more it seems - although the Moss UK website clearly shows a fully foam structure seal, what I received today was yet another example of the extended solid rubber lower section type Bill shows in post#2 above and similar to those I have had from both Baines and SNGB over the past 4 years - all useless.
Hello Bob,
I really don't get why these after market companies make and sell such rubbish parts that just don't work. I have a lot of experience in Tool Making, particularly in all forms of moulding, and it would be much easier to make the seal using a single density of rubber. It would be a Win Win situation, where the cost of manufacture would be less (happy manufacturer/supplier) and the end user would have a workable, usable part (happy end user).

I've reported this matter in detail to the suppliers, but it seems it falls on deaf ears.

As mentioned in my earlier Post, to get the dual rubber seal to work, a reasonable chunk of the seal has to be cut and removed. It's just an abomination and a waste of money. I would gladly pay more for a part that worked, as most of what one receives now requires a substantial labor cost to fit.

Lower Valance panel purchased, supposedly the best you can buy, was such poor quality; profoundly asymmetrical in profile and short by 20mm on one side, that it couldn't be used. I ended up cutting it up and using some of the components to repair the original part; a very expensive parts source.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic