Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Talk about the E-Type Series 2
User avatar

Topic author
VooDooDaddy
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:53 pm
Location: Pleasanton, California
United States of America

#1 Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by VooDooDaddy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:12 pm

I inherited my mother’s 1970 LHD E-type FHC a few years ago and just got it back from a mechanic, who got the engine running and brakes serviced. (So, it’s mobile again).

It absolutely needs a new floor and left hand sill. (The outer sill for sure and maybe inner sill, too).
What’s not clear to me is whether a complete strip-down is necessary for this procedure.
Is a jig always required for for FHC body work?

Much obliged for any guidance!
- Tom -
1970 Series II FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5082
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#2 Re: Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by christopher storey » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:28 pm

No - a jig is not essential , but it does help. What is essential is that you tie the A and B pillars together with a welded bar ( or two ) on the side where the sill is removed, so all interior furnishings need to come out. It is also best to tie the posts diagonally as well

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


paulsco
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Great Britain

#3 Re: Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by paulsco » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi Tom,

Having completely rebuilt my shell on a rotisserie I think you will struggle without at least having a pit, although no doubt it can be done and as Christopher says, especially if you are replacing the inner sills, you will need to brace it.

Have a look at some of the guides on here:

https://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/main/?s=floors

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
VooDooDaddy
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:53 pm
Location: Pleasanton, California
United States of America

#4 Re: Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by VooDooDaddy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 pm

christopher storey wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:28 pm
No - a jig is not essential , but it does help. What is essential is that you tie the A and B pillars together with a welded bar ( or two ) on the side where the sill is removed, so all interior furnishings need to come out. It is also best to tie the posts diagonally as well
Thanks, Christopher. This helps. I hadn’t been thinking of the front-to-back stress dimension (mostly side-to-side). I need to think in 3 dimensions.
- Tom -
1970 Series II FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
VooDooDaddy
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:53 pm
Location: Pleasanton, California
United States of America

#5 Re: Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by VooDooDaddy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:10 pm

paulsco wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:54 pm
Hi Tom,

Having completely rebuilt my shell on a rotisserie I think you will struggle without at least having a pit, although no doubt it can be done and as Christopher says, especially if you are replacing the inner sills, you will need to brace it.

Have a look at some of the guides on here:

https://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/main/?s=floors

Paul
Thanks, Paul!
I’m afraid that I don’t know how to weld (yet?) and was looking for a shop that could handle the job. However, if they don’t specialize in E-Types, they wouldn’t have a jig and might be tempted to do without. So, knowing if it is necessary helps me ask the right questions.

I was hoping that I could avoid gutting the entire car and rebuilding it from the ground up. (Whilst, this is the proper thing to do, it might consume too much of my time, money and marriage :| .)

Does anyone have recommendations for good body shops in the San Francisco Bay Area?
(Advertisements in the E-Type Club magazine give the impression that they are on every street corner in England. :bigrin: )
- Tom -
1970 Series II FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 6063
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#6 Re: Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by mgcjag » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi Tom possibly worth you getting on the US Jag lovers forum hopefully they will have local knowledge for you...Steve https://forums.jag-lovers.com/
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
VooDooDaddy
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:53 pm
Location: Pleasanton, California
United States of America

#7 Re: Stripping Requirements for Floor Replacement

Post by VooDooDaddy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:11 pm
Hi Tom possibly worth you getting on the US Jag lovers forum hopefully they will have local knowledge for you...Steve https://forums.jag-lovers.com/
Great resource! Thank you!
- Tom -
1970 Series II FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic