Series II - Removing Wiper Motor

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
JC
Great Britain

#1 Series II - Removing Wiper Motor

Post by JC » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:44 pm

I'm trying to remove the wiper motor to allow me to repaint the bulkhead.

Most advice I've read is for SI, that I believe is different from my SII. I understand that I need to attack this problem by disconnecting the linkage behind the dashboard and then unbolt the motor from the bulkhead. I have (at least) two problems

Firstly I can't get at the bottom left bolt securing the motor to the bulkhead - see photo. Do I need to dismantle the motor to allow access or is it just awkward?
Wipermotor2_edited.jpg
Wipermotor2_edited.jpg (131.14 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
Secondly, looking at the linkage behind the dashboard - where do I start dismantling?
wipermotor1_edited.jpg
wipermotor1_edited.jpg (154.41 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
Cheers, John C

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series II - Removing Wiper Motor

Post by johnetype » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:47 pm

It's just awkward :bigrin: 1/4inch drive and flexible/universal joints may help but I didn't have to dismantle the motor.

Your photo is of the centre bulkhead aperture.The end of the arm nearest the camera links to the motor bell crank, that's the one you need to unclip from the centre. If you then unbolt the motor you may be able to get the motor and the link rod out together. However, depending on the position of the motor arm it will tend to foul on the bulkhead and you may have to remove the link arm from the motor end reaching its spring retaining clips from whichever side of the bulkhead you can. Like a lot of things around the bulkhead, it's not hard but you just have to fiddle things until they're in the right place to come out.

If you can power the motor you can also power it momentarily to get the motor arm into a more favourable position but turn it on and off using the ignition key or the self parking will take it back to the beginning.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series II - Removing Wiper Motor

Post by Gfhug » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 pm

Be very careful with the clips to not lose parts down inside the bulkhead.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#4 Re: Series II - Removing Wiper Motor

Post by johnetype » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:17 am

Good advice and as insurance get yourself a flexible magnetic pickup tool.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JC
Great Britain

#5 Re: Series II - Removing Wiper Motor

Post by JC » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks for the advice!! An hour or so this afternoon, following advice, saw the motor removed.

With the other 3 bolts removed, I was able to wiggle the motor enough to get a 1/4" drive socket on with a flexi-bar!!

Disconnecting the linkage behind the dashboard proved surprisingly straightforward - I lay plenty of kitchen roll beneath the connection (to catch the spring clip) - but the clip came off easily with some thin-nosed pillars!! Re-assembly may prove more tricky!!

Then, much to my surprise, the motor and linkage pulled straight out!!

:bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
Cheers, John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic