Rear door trim

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Rear door trim

Post by mach2andy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am

How does the top part of the rear door trim secure to the door? As usual, a couple of pics would be very helpful.
Although sourced from one of the best trimming companies, the trim piece does not seem to fit that well? Perhaps others have found the same? I have never had the original top trim piece so I can't compare new with old.
Thanks in advance
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear door trim

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:40 am

Hi Andy....the original top trim on my 69 S2 2+2 is formed cardboard..i think the new repros are plastic.....from memory i think it just fixes to the hatch with trim clips like the bottom section or door cards.....do you have holes in the top of the hatch for them...the bottom edge of the vinyl is held under the window rubber......I think some have done away with the top molded section and glued vinyl directly to the top of the hatch....trim is usually done prior to fitting glass......but if yours is fitted you can just tuck the edges under the rubber....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear door trim

Post by mach2andy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Hi Steve
The lower portion of trim had holes pre punched in the card to accept the standard trim clips, and these lined up perfectly with the holes in the door. The short piece of trim on the LHS just above the latch has prepunched holes that line up with the existing holes in the door. But there are no holes in the new piece of top trim [which is fibreglass] to accept clips, and there are no pre existing holes in the top section of the door. Which leads me to assume that it will have to be glued in place which somehow doesn't seem right? I have a picture of a very original car I saw at a show back in the good old days, so I know how it should all look, but of course this doesn't show how the top trim secures.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rear door trim

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi Andy.... just looked at a parts catalogue and can find the top trim section but i cant see clips....if you have no holes for clips then it must be glued on......In the Chris Rooke book he was advised by Mick Thurley (trimmer) to fix vinyl directly to door for that top section as the repro moulding wasnt very good.....Steve edit http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... cb#p140594
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Rear door trim

Post by mach2andy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi Steve. Thanks for taking a look in the IPC. I have all the materials to hand, and trimming this top section from scratch had entered my mind. Nice and fiddly, but I've done nice and fiddly before. Because of the average fit of this trim piece, I think its going to foul somewhere round the aperture. I'm going to try to temporarily fix it in place on the door later and sit the door in position and see if it does foul.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic