Sticky choke

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Stephanie Plum
Wales

#1 Sticky choke

Post by Stephanie Plum » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:12 pm

Hello everyone

Hope all are keeping well. Fired the old girl up yesterday and took her out for a good run and a fresh tank of fuel. All good, bar a slightly sticky choke in that it doesn't seem to want to push home, and the light keeps coming on. Tickover also slightly fast so I suspect even if the light goes off, it still isn't quite off.

is this something I, as a novice can fix, or shall I add it to the love list for Grahame?

Thank you :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Sticky choke

Post by angelw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:03 pm

Stephanie Wrote:
is this something I, as a novice can fix, or shall I add it to the love list for Grahame?
Hello Stephanie,
Absolutely. At least you can trouble shoot to determine the cause.

To get to the choke lever end of the cable requires the dash top to be remove; accordingly, I suggest working from the carburetor end for a start. Undo the clamp bolt for the centre wire at the carburetor, this will require you to remove the air filter system to gain access and detach the choke cable from the carburetor. Now operate the choke lever to see if its still hard to move. If yes, you may be able to free it up by spraying penetrating oil (WD40 or the like) into the end of the cable whilst operating the choke lever.

The proper fix, if the cable is hard to operate with it disconnected from the carburetors, is to remove the cable assembly completely, remove the centre wire, clean it and the inside of the outer case with penetrating fluid then reassemble.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#3 Re: Sticky choke

Post by MarkRado » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 am

I assume your car is equipped with SU carbs, then it is worth checking if one of the fast idle rods has got stuck in the carb body.
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic