Ignition Coil on Picture Frame

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

#1 Ignition Coil on Picture Frame

Post by Eric Capron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:43 am

Dear Forum members,

This is really a repeat of a post I made in Jan 2009 but there are now more members so I will try again.

What I am looking for is a decent photograph of how the coil and the ballast resistor are mounted on the picture frame. I have the correct coil and resistor but not the mountings and I would like a picture so that I can make them.

Anyone got one?

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HarryW

Post by HarryW » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi, Eric.
I see you've had no luck with your query - and as a Series 1 person I cannot help directly. One or two suggestions that might get you the info. however.
If you have any of the 'standard' books like Porter's 'Original E-type' you can pick up photos there (eg p.75 in this book);
If you load your car number into XKE Data and get photos of similar aged cars you should come across examples (- there were 3 places where the coil was placed at different periods of the S2's life); lastly, have a look at Jaglovers Nov 2nd under 'S1.5 Coil mounting' - which reminded me of your post!
Hope this helps :wink:
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Harry,

Thanks for the suggestions. In fact I have got Porter's book and I also have obtained other photos which taken together show what the mounting looks like.

Crucially, Steve very kindly PMed me the critical dimensions so I now have enough information to make all the parts. The materials arrived earlier this week so I need to get busy with my lathe.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Francis

Post by Francis » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Would any of these pictures of the front end disassembly of my type 2 help?

http://picasaweb.google.com/Francis2002 ... Diassemble#

Francis
69 OTS S2 1R8482 named Fiona

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:54 am

Francis,

Thanks for the pictures. They are indeed helpful. I am interested to see that you have a plate that carries two 6RA relays. On my car there is a completely different bracket very clearly intended for only one relay which is for the cooling fans. It looks like that is what the lower relay is for on your plate but what is the function of the upper one?

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Francis

Post by Francis » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:42 pm

I got my car last week as a barn find and a non-runner, so I have not yet checked any of the cars' vital electrical functions. I would venture to say that since this is an original Arizona car and that it has an A/C unit, this could be for the cooling unit sitting in front of the radiator, or for a stronger fan (double) unit.

Francis
69 OTS S2 1R8482 named Fiona

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic