Cooling fans always on?

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mam
United States of America

#1 Cooling fans always on?

Post by mam » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:05 pm

The engine cooling fans on my 1970 S2, come on with the ignition switch, and remain on until the switch is turned off. This seemed odd to me, thinking that they should be thematically controlled, and I assumed that the fans had been "hot wired" by a previous owner. Something that I read on this forum, recently however, has me wondering if they were factory wired to be on all the time?
Thanks,
Mike
'71 S2 OTS, '53 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by johnetype » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:17 pm

I don't know what you might have read but the fans were not wired by the factory to be on all the time. The fans are controlled by the "Otter" temperature switch which on a Series 2 is at the top of the radiator and switch the fan motors via a relay.

That said, if you have a Series 2 with factory fitted AC then there is second relay that switches the fans on whenever the AC is energised, perhaps that has led someone into believing the fans are switched on all the time.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by malcolm » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:17 pm

No, shouldn't be on all the time. The otter switch should control that. Some series 1 owners installed a switch on the dash so they could manually put them on; overheating can be a thing with series 1. Not so with series 2 with the bigger mouth and twin fans.

SORRY, posted same time as John's post so a bit repetitive!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#4 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by JerryL770 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:24 pm

No, they are not wired to run permanently. There should be an Otter switch mounted on the water system somewhere - I don't quite know where offhand, but the otter switch provides an earth connection from the radiator fan relay which then switches the fans on/off at appropriate temperatures.

If either the switch or relay fails, some directly wire the fans to run all the time as a rescue procedure - never removed on yours, evidently.

Hope that helps, Jerry
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#5 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by abowie » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:12 pm

I would check to see if a PO has installed a manual override switch to enable you to turn the fans on manually.

Have a look in the driver's footwell and check at the fan relay for extra wiring.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#6 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by angelw » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Hello Mike,
As well as the suggestions already provided, check the resistance between the two terminals on the Otto Switch, used to turn the fans on and off (in the absence of an after thought, additional switch), when the engine and coolant are cold. If it shows Infinity, the original circuit is open (as it should be) and something else is switching the fans on.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mam
United States of America

#7 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by mam » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone. I have verified through documents that were included with the car that the stock radiator was replaced and there is no sign of an "otter" switch on the new one. Also, no manual override switch found.
Other than the additional wear and tear on the fans, is their any harm in letting the fans run? It seems with the "limited" miles that the car will be driven, the fans should still last a long, long time. I have owned the car since last October (about 500 miles), and the engine seems to warm up promptly, and run in the normal temperature range.
Thanks,
Mike
'71 S2 OTS, '53 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by mgcjag » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:52 pm

Mike...otter switch is typically on the front, of the rad at the top.....not easy to see....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#9 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by Gfhug » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:32 pm

Mike, as Steve says it’s in the top of the radiator, can you see any wires going to the rad? It’s just to the side of the radiator cap.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mam
United States of America

#10 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by mam » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:54 pm

Believe I've found the otter switch on the replacement radiator, although it doesn't appear to be connected. Tough to see with the the clamshell hood. I only see one spade connector in the center of the switch?
I've recently been able to contact the previous owner of 40 years, who confirmed that he had the fans wired to the ignition prior to installation of the replacement radiator, when he was having overheating problems. I suppose that the shop that installed the new radiator, simply left the fan wiring as they found it. Unfortunate!
Per my last post,
"Other than the additional wear and tear on the fans, is their any harm in letting the fans run? It seems with the "limited" miles that the car will be driven, the fans should still last a long, long time. I have owned the car since last October (about 500 miles), and the engine seems to warm up promptly, and run in the normal temperature range."

Thanks,
Mike

'71 S2 OTS, '53 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by mgcjag » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:02 pm

Hi Mike...its your call.....most here would have the fans working correctly........its obvious that the fans wont last as long running continuously.....and the coolant entering the engine will be cooler than it should be......it wouldnt take much to wire it in.....your car.....your decision.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by Gfhug » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:03 pm

Mike, that’s the Otter switch, one wire to earth(ground) the other to the central tag.
Have you got the maintenance manual as there are wiring diagrams to explain how it is all set up, also look in the knowledge section there is a lot of help there, including the maintenance manual but you really should buy a copy as well.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=700

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#13 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:54 pm

Hi Mike

As Steve said, most here would correct the wiring. As would I.

As it is currently wired, in addition to the wear and tear on the fans, your car will take longer to warm up and will generally run cooler than would be the case if wired correctly. That would also affect economy and engine wear. Your heater will also be less effective, if that mattered. Don't forget the constant noise from the fans too.

Another downside is the fact that the fans will be switched off when you switch off the engine. Sometimes it is good for the fans to run on after shutting down the engine.

Your car, your choice.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mam
United States of America

#14 Re: Cooling fans always on?

Post by mam » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:21 pm

Thanks, all, for your help! I'm learning a lot. don't have a maintenance manual yet, and I'm no mechanic, but have a friend (TR2 owner) that is, so maybe I can ask him for some help doing the conversion.
Mike
'71 S2 OTS, '53 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic