Series 2 Steering Column question

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
BobKTX
United States of America

#1 Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by BobKTX » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:39 pm

Can anyone explain the section of the Series 2 (non-power steering) steering column to me? It appears to me that the section that extends from inside the drivers compartment (short section after the universal joint) through the pedal box and down to the steering box has two sections. The top part from the firewall appears to be shaped as I've heard called "Double D" i.e. round with two sides flattened out. this section appears to be inserted into the lower section of the column that extends down to the universal joint just above the steering box. See photo below

My question is, can the Double D section be removed from the lower (round) section of the column from under the drivers side dash, if that universal joint was disconnected?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BobKTX
United States of America

#2 Re: Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by BobKTX » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 am

Here is a snippet from the SNG catalog showing the part in question. It is Part # 1 in the illustration.

From this drawing it does appear to be in two distinct sections. Anyone know for sure?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by Tom W » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:50 am

The lower column is in two haves so it’s able to collapse in the event of an accident. It can’t be separated into two halves.

It’s held together by nylon shear pins. If you try and dismantle it, you’ll break the nylon. As far as I know, no one’s able to replicate the original manufacturing process and recondition them. The workshop manual says it’s not a serviceable part and must be replaced when the pins are sheared. Ok when the cars were new and you could phone up the main dealer and buy one, but not so much use now when they’re unobtainable!

There’s no need to separate it into two, and doing so will irreparably damage a part you’ll struggle to replace. The same applies to the upper inner collapsible column too.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#4 Re: Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by Tom W » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:57 am

I should add to this that even if you do shear the nylon and try to dismantle it, it won’t come apart. I once had one that was broken and tried to dismantle it to see if it was possible to fix. It looks like it’s assembled by posting the inner bit in from the other end of the outer, then welding a plug in the end. The inner must have a section that’s larger then the D section, so won’t slide apart.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BobKTX
United States of America

#5 Re: Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by BobKTX » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Thank you for the reply with great information about this column segment. It is kind of what I expected, but not what I was hoping for.

If I then want to remove the column from the pedal box, it would appear that the only way to do that would be to disconnect the column from the steering box down where the lower universal joint (Part # 9) and the universal joint in the drivers footwell (Part # 2).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gtjoey
United States of America

#6 Re: Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by gtjoey » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:12 pm

Easy peezy!
You got something planned😁

Gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BobKTX
United States of America

#7 Re: Series 2 Steering Column question

Post by BobKTX » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:13 pm

gtjoey wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:12 pm
Easy peezy!
You got something planned😁

Gtjoey1314
Only if I can get the steering column out of the pedal box!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic