Series 2 won't start

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
DRC
Great Britain

#1 Series 2 won't start

Post by DRC » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:01 am

Hi

I am new to this forum. I have inherited a series 2 2+2 US LHD model. I have never heard/seen it run but did a few checks before I gave it a go. Engine turns over freely with the starter motor. Fuel pump is working and delivering plenty of fuel to the Stromberg carbs. Replaced the plugs and checked for sparks and all seem good. I have also checked the float levels and replaced the inlet valves and checked that there are no blockages from the float bowls through the metering nozzle. Engine gives a bit of a puff if I squirt in some easy start. Tried wedging open the carb air pistons but makes no difference. Tried prolonged starting but just end up with petrol dripping from the overflow. From what I can tell by removing plugs, no smell of fuel on the plugs so probably nothing getting to the cylinders. There seems to be a little bit of petrol around the metering needle area but not a huge amount. I would have expected more but maybe I am wrong.

Would appreciate any ideas of what to next check or potential issues that I haven't already covered.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by DWW » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:07 pm

Did you check compression or tried to place your hand over the carb air intake to feel the strength of engine suction?
Last edited by DWW on Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 pm

Check that the plug leads are going to the correct cylinders in the right order and that the spark is on the compression stroke......you havent seen it run but do you know when it was last running......get to basics...fuel...compression.....timing...spark......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DRC
Great Britain

#4 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by DRC » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:01 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 pm
Check that the plug leads are going to the correct cylinders in the right order and that the spark is on the compression stroke......you havent seen it run but do you know when it was last running......get to basics...fuel...compression.....timing...spark......Steve
Thanks. At least 5 years I expect but maybe it hasn't ran for longer. I will check the compression and order.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:16 pm

Fresh fuel.....check filter
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jack the lad
Great Britain

#6 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by Jack the lad » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:07 am

I would start by draining the petrol tank, fuel lines, filter and carbs. If the petrol is old it will be useless. Then check the plug leads are connected correctly to the proper cylinder. I have swapped them over in the past for a car in long term storage as an anti-theft hinderance. The Strombergs have a black rubber diaphragm under the top cover, replace all four of them, an easy job, just 4 screws per carb. Should start OK then if your previous checks are correct. Please don't burn out the starter by continuously trying to start it when you know it has a fault.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
DRC
Great Britain

#7 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by DRC » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:05 am

I have checked that the leads are in the correct order (all correct) and changed the two carburettor diaphragms. Then did compression test which the results were not very convincing. Cylinder 1 at 60 psi, 2 at 40, 3 at 25, 4 at 0, 5 at 0 and 6 at 40.

So in summary, fuel ok and being delivered ok, plugs are sparking in correct order but poor/no compression. Might need some surgery unless any other suggestions on further checks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#8 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by christopher storey » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:19 am

Did you check the compressions with the throttles wide open ? This is essential ( although the 0 at 4 and 5 perhaps suggests a blown gasket between those cylinders ) . Also, one thing you don't mention checking is the ignition timing . Static timing of 10 degs BTDC should do for these purposes

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jack the lad
Great Britain

#9 Re: Series 2 won't start

Post by Jack the lad » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:04 pm

Before you start any major strip down I would remove the cam covers to enable you to observe the operation of the valves and whilst cranking the engine see that they are operating normally. It's possible that a few of the valves have stuck open (long term storage) and your previous attempts have bent the valve stems (by the rising pistons) so preventing them from closing. Not a major job but you will need to remove the head, please ensure that you fit the correct head gasket, I bought an engine that had been re-built (by the PO) and it had many problems with wrong parts fitted including cyl. head studs and head gasket. I would suggest that you buy a copy of the XK engine rebuild book by Practical classics, (Yellow cover from Amazon etc) and follow the articles within it. Good luck, take your time with the job and re-check everything twice.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic