Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
allenjdeg2
United States of America

#1 Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by allenjdeg2 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:32 pm

Bonnet safety latch is stuck, hood will not open. The side latches are fully released but the bonnet safety latch in the center will not release. I used my endoscope and can visualize the latch which is still latched into the center of the firewall receptacle. I’ve tried to physically move the bonnet, with assistance from a friend,but the hood still will not release. Any suggestions or experiences with this problem will be appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#2 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by bitsobrits » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:51 am

Push the bonnet down, slightly, then try to release the safety catch. It has sharp hook end which will not release if you are pulling up the bonnet while trying to release the catch.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by christopher storey » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:07 pm

That looks to me as though the retainer into which the moveable catch fits has got bent upwards , possibly by someone tryingto force the bonnet upwards with the catch still impinging on the retainer . This will be difficult to rectify without damaging the upper surface of the bonnet, but it may just be possible to push a screwriver or rod though the gap with the bonnet held open by a helper, and then hammer the retainer down a little at a time to enable the catch to be released

PS the hook end of the catch also looks damaged to me

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#4 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by DWW » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:34 pm

If you ever tried to bend/adjust that catch you would know that it is near impossible to bend. and i the case you describe that would allow more space when lifting the bonnet....it does not mean the firewall didn't get distorted....from using excessive force. from your image it looks different to my series 1 catch though.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dxke38
Great Britain

#5 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by dxke38 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:58 pm

I agree the retainer looks to be bent upwards. It causes the hook to hit the bulkhead without releasing.
Derek
64 ser 1 fhc, 71 ser 3 2+2. Ser 3 now sold, looking for a new toy to keep Ser 1 company

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
allenjdeg2
United States of America

#6 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by allenjdeg2 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:15 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions and clever ideas. I tried using a screwdriver to blindly push anything between the rubber seal and into the latch mechanism. I was afraid that I could damage the car so I stopped. The bonnet is very tight in the center even though the side latches are disengaged. I finally called my Jag mechanic and he will deal with it this weekend. I’ll let you know what happens. Allen

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
allenjdeg2
United States of America

#7 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by allenjdeg2 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:19 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions and clever ideas. I tried using a screwdriver to blindly push anything between the rubber seal and into the latch mechanism. I was afraid that I could damage the car so I stopped. The bonnet is very tight in the center even though the side latches are disengaged. I finally called my Jag mechanic and he will deal with it this weekend. I’ll let you know what happens. Allen

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
allenjdeg2
United States of America

#8 Re: Stuck bonnet safety latch. S2 FHC

Post by allenjdeg2 » Tue May 02, 2023 1:30 am

Just for future references on repairing a stuck or damaged central E-type safety latch. My latch was impossible to access and apparently it was damaged at one time. My Jag mechanic, Chris Malone, described the process.
1. Double tape all edges on the bonnet, so if the bonnet moved, no chipping of the paint would occur.
2. Wire the bonnet hinge spring mechanism to prevent the springs from releasing when the hinge bolts were
removed.
3. Support the front of the bonnet with a crate and heavy padding in order to remove the hinge bolts.
4. Slightly push back the bonnet to release the damaged latch.
5. It was necessary to have two people to lift the bonnet and replace both of the hinge bolts.
6. Replace damaged latch with new one and establish the correct clearances as before.
7. Reinstall hood assist springs.
This was an unusual occurrence, but not being able to access the engine compartment in an emergency Like FIRE, could be catastrophic.
Probably not a bad idea to check the safety latch every so often to assure it’s in good working condition.
Thanks again for all of the suggestions, Allen

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic