Wiring questions

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#1 Wiring questions

Post by cmdrew » Mon May 01, 2023 10:50 am

More wiring questions I'm afraid, hopefully these last few will get the car up and running.

1. In the middle instrument panel there are a load of earth wires mainly for the panel lighting. Do these all go together and do they attach to a specific place or places. I have loads of photos but neglected to take one of this area!

2. Indicator switch - the horn push relies on the actual lever having an earth attached to it from what I can tell with my multimeter - there is an earth wire with what looks like a bit of braiding on it but how does it attach to the stalk itself? I tried solder but that won't stick - I can't actually see anywhere the wire may have attached to originally but there is no continuity from the horn push to any of the contacts.

3. Distributor - I have replaced both the main dash loom and the engine loom - originally the ignition was bodged through an additional switch but hopefully it is now via the key. I have a white and a white/black wire at the distributor / coil but it looks as if the distributor has been replaced with an electronic version. This has a red and a black wire. I have confirmed power at the white wire coming from the loom with ignition on and have put this to the + coil terminal. -ive coil terminal has the red from the distributor and the black is earthed. I'm not getting a spark though. I am assuming the white/black is an earth for the distributor but not sure.

Any help would be appreciated then I can get on with getting the welding done!
Chris Drew
SII Roadster in Red (looking like a bit of a project!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wiring questions

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 01, 2023 2:02 pm

Photos really help.....take the dizzy cap off.....is it electronic? or a module instead of points?....numerous dash wireing photos if you google https://www.google.com/search?q=e+type+ ... &prmd=isvn ..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wiring questions

Post by cmdrew » Wed May 03, 2023 9:20 am

Getting further, I have attached the earth wire to the stalk using a small self tapper and now the horn works. A little adjustment of the wires to the dip/main switch and now all lights and indicators are working so definite progress.

Still won’t start and no spark. I have been reading up and it looks as if the white wire should go to the coil as this is the ignition live. Red from the distributor (below does look like a replacement electronic version) also goes to coil + and the black from the distributor goes to coil -. Not tried yet as I don’t want to break the distributor but will later today. Seems the white with black tracer is the earth when using points but not needed for the electronic version…
Chris Drew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wiring questions

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 03, 2023 9:49 am

Looks like a Pertronix unit? Typical wire diagrams from pertronix
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#5 Re: Wiring questions

Post by cmdrew » Wed May 03, 2023 4:35 pm

My thanks Steve, this worked perfectly and the car started for the first time since I got it using the key. Previously there was an isolator key and a separate switch to enable the coil.

Now I need to get the dash in which is straight forward other than the pesky choke cables / mechanism which my big fat fingers can't get to easily!
Chris Drew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic