WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Damoyorkie
Great Britain

#1 WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Damoyorkie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:24 pm

After finally getting my S2 fhc back on the road, I had a problem with a lack of charging.

I purchased a WOSP LMA012-80a from Martin Robey, who I’ve had practically everything from during the restoration. There’s a brilliant bloke there called Ian Hoare, who has listened helpfully to my stupidity over the last three years.

The part has come, and upon offering it up, the body of the WOSP does not fit into the mounting bracket.

Problem solved by 35mm of spacers.

BUT, bigger problem is that the fan on the alternator is right handed (clockwise), and my original Lucas, and the engine plus belt spin left handed (anti-clockwise). The electrical side of it is is spot on, as I’m now getting 14.4v at the battery but I’m worried about the mechanical side of it with the fan doing nothing to keep the alternator cool.

A couple of questions for the learned crew on here:

1. Should I be worried (as I’ve seen other alternators recommending that the fan is actually taken off for AC cars, which mine is) ?

2. Does anybody know where to source a LH fan for the WOSP or a LH 80a alternator ?

I’ve spoken with Ian at Martin Robey’s and he told me he’s never had this problem before and it is a straight replacement. Is it only my car, which is a LHD 1969 s 2 fhc with aircon.

Thanks in advance.

Damien
Damoyorkie
1969 s2 FHC
From God's Own County.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:40 pm

So on your car does the alternator mount on the carb side of engine and faceing in the opposite direction to a standard rhd car.. if so then the right hand alternator is spinning in the opposite direction so you need the opposite fan.....thought that most of the alternator suppliers sell them in left or right options.....i would contact Wosp .Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#3 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by DWW » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:12 pm

I am not familiar with this particular alternator, but is it possible to flip the fan?
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Damoyorkie
Great Britain

#4 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Damoyorkie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:54 pm

Ola Steve,

This WOSP sits just on the exhaust side. I cannot flip this fan. I think the 3 options are to a) see if WOSP can sell me a LH fan, or b) replace the WOSP fan with the one I could take off the Lucas I have replaced or c) ignore the contra-rotation and hope that the current fan can pull energy ugh air into the new alternator that there is no problem.
Damoyorkie
1969 s2 FHC
From God's Own County.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Damoyorkie
Great Britain

#5 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Damoyorkie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:56 pm

DWW wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:12 pm
I am not familiar with this particular alternator, but is it possible to flip the fan?
Hi Denny,

I’m not sure that’s possible. Photos attached.

Damoyorkie
1969 s2 FHC
From God's Own County.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by abowie » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:52 am

In your picture there's a directional arrow that points clockwise, but your fan does indeed look like it should turn anticlockwise.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jack the lad
Great Britain

#7 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Jack the lad » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:27 am

If the main body of your alternator is behind the drive belt then it is all OK. If your body is ahead of the drive belt then it is turning wrong and will overheat.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:07 am

Have a look here....it explains fan flow and different alternator positions...Steve https://www.coolcatcorp.com/faqs/LucasNippondenso.html
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#9 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by johnetype » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:09 am

If you are retaining the (very heavy) alternator mounting bracket that places the alternator in front of the engine as fitted to LHD S2 with factory fitted A/C then yes, this is a known problem as the alternator rotates to opposite way round to normal. The fan fitted to the original alternator is NLA and there's never been any demand to reproduce it.

Options:

If you still have your original alternator have it refurbished and use that.

Ditch the alternator bracket and mount your new alternator as normal for RHD cars at the side of the engine. Yes, you'd loose the mounting for the A/C compressor but it's unlikely that's still going to be effective and if you wish to retain working A/C you'll need to fit a modern A/C compressor down at the side of the engine as well.

Try and fit the fan from your original alternator to your new alternator. If you no longer have your original fan there's many folks who've converted S2s with A/C from LHD to RHD who may still have their original fan/alternator to sell you.

Just run with your WOSP alternator and see how it goes. It still has a fan moving air through the alternator just not so efficiently but it may be enough given the alternator doesn't have a high load in these cars.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Damoyorkie
Great Britain

#10 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Damoyorkie » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:49 pm

Thanks All,

And sorry for the "stoned Jesus with the munchies" picture. I can only think that it was an accidental addition, after having come back from the Thursday night session in The Swan...

The alternator does indeed sit in front of the belt, and I am keen to keep it there so that I can reinstall the factory AC, once the new improved bits eventually land in from Moss.

I think I will follow John's advice and try to replace the WOSP fan, with the one I still have from my original. Let's see how badly I can mess this up.

I will post again once I have fettled it.
Damoyorkie
1969 s2 FHC
From God's Own County.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#11 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:14 pm

Does the anti-clockwise alternator have a left hand thread on the shaft?

There should be a groove half way down the nut to indicate that it is a left hand thread.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Damoyorkie
Great Britain

#12 Re: WOSP Alternator from Martin Robey

Post by Damoyorkie » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:08 pm

Update !

I sourced a counter-clockwise fan from WOSP, through CCW-tools.com (about £20 delivered) and have just fitted it and I’m getting 14.4v at the battery terminals as well as this happy picture when at idle:

So job looks like a good ‘un.

Just a quick one about WOSP and CCW. Genuinely, I have never had an experience like it.

I emailed WOSP about 4.30 on a Friday, and as they specifically state they only take trade emails, it was sent more in hope than expectation. Luke from WOSP emailed me at 6.30 pm and there was an exchange of emails as late as 10.30 pm that night. He put me in touch with Tony at CCW who was then helping with emails beyond midnight that night.

He posted up the link for the part the next day, and I had the part by the Tuesday.

Honestly, I have never had a customer experience like it; knowledgeable, good humoured and both supremely helpful.

Thanks also to all of you, and apologies to Stuart for not responding sooner, as I just read your email when I came on to post this.
Damoyorkie
1969 s2 FHC
From God's Own County.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic