Hood finishing/side profile

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#1 Hood finishing/side profile

Post by Monkeyfinger » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:50 pm

Interested to know - we replaced my previous vinyl hood with a canvas/mohair (or whatever it should be called) version, during my rebuild. The fit is great, but I've been unhappy with the shaping behind the side windows. This just looks wrong and flaps around.
The original hood (not necessarily by Jaguar, but it's been with the car since the mid 1970's), had a curved profile in this area, which seems common to many others that I have seen pictures of.

Should this section be cut to a curved profile? I have no idea if the mohair style material can be simply cut without some form of hemming/edging, so interested in others experiences with this.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hood finishing/side profile

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:20 pm

69 sales brochure photo so i would think a factory hood shows it cut back......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hood finishing/side profile

Post by Monkeyfinger » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:18 pm

yes - but can I just take my scissors to it or will that end in tears...
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hood finishing/side profile

Post by mgcjag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:21 pm

It looks like a woven material...so will fray......fold and glue? Or have a trimmer do a proper job on it...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#5 Re: Hood finishing/side profile

Post by Gfhug » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:08 pm

Richard, been looking in Clausager’s book and it shows a neat triangle finish from a few inches behind the door to the top of the chrome on the door. The distance back from the door to the triangle looks about 1.5 - 2 times the height of the chrome if that helps. Does the lower edge have some form of stiffener to stop it from flapping in the breeze at 70 mph?

Edited to add: looked in the glamour photos page 2 post 21, there’s an OTS with a different finish where the hood is cut roughly straight from the rear hood chrome to the top of the door. It looks like an early photo, so how were they finished in the factory? See also post 22 for a similar finish.
And further looking at other books by Porter, Jenks, etc showing eg ECD 400 (Graham Hill’s winning car) with the straight cut but other cars with the hood line following the curve then finishing with the angle cut as in the photo Steve posted. All original as came out of the factory by the looks of it, so were there differences depending on the trimmer making the hood? :shrug:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#6 Re: Hood finishing/side profile

Post by Monkeyfinger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:42 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I dug out my 'original' hood, and took a picture.

The original vinyl is finished well, with binding along the edge. It's not so clear in the picture, but it has a curve upward to meet roughly the top edge of the door chrome. The new hood (from BAS, so a very reputable source) is finished to meet the bottom edge of the door chrome - incidentally, that seems to be how it is finished on the S3, including a pop fastener on the bottom corner. It's surprisingly hard to find pictures of original cars with the hood up - below is one from the original S2 sticky in this forum. This matched what I had originally, with the upward sweep to meet the top of the chrome trim. All of the period cars that I seem to find pictures of on the web, have a similar profile, so I think I'm going to assume that's how it (probably) was when leaving the factory. I'm going to have a word with BAS and see what their opinion is with regard to finishing.

Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic