Intermittent electrical quirks

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Mangan
Great Britain

#1 Intermittent electrical quirks

Post by Mangan » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:56 am

Hi all!

I'm reaching out to the knowledgeable community here with a bit of a puzzling situation involving my cherished Jaguar. While this iconic beauty has been a joy to own and drive, I've recently encountered an issue that's left me scratching my head.

Lately, I've noticed intermittent electrical quirks that seem to affect various systems within the car. For instance, the interior lights sometimes flicker unexpectedly, the power windows operate inconsistently, and I've even experienced a couple of instances where the engine momentarily sputters.

I've checked the battery and alternator, and they seem to be in good shape. Also, there are no visible loose connections or frayed wiring that I've been able to spot. I'm left wondering if this could be a more complex issue involving the vehicle's electrical system or perhaps a grounding problem.

Whether it's a recommendation for a trusted mechanic or some DIY troubleshooting advice, I'm eager to hear your thoughts and insights. My goal is to ensure that my car remains the epitome of performance and elegance that it's known for.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Maggie Pieczarkowska
Coolair247
https://coolair247.co.uk
Branch Manager

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Intermittent electrical quirks

Post by christopher storey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:17 am

The first thing I would look for is a grounding ( earthing) problem . The E type abounds with small earth wires - all of which are black - but is heavily dependent upon the main earth leads between battery and the main bodyshell . I would check all the leads at each end for freedom from corrosion and for tightness of connections. If you are in any doubt at all, I would get a spare major black lead and connect is as a supplementary earth lead between the engine frames and the main bodyshell. At the same time, check the live lead from battery to starter motor for cleanliness and tightness. If those measures produce no improvement, then the task is the tedious one of checking the small earth wires in similar fashion . It should be noted that although many of those small black wires go to the instrument panel, you must ensure that the panel s themselves have proper electrical continuity with the main bodyshell

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Intermittent electrical quirks

Post by mgcjag » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:23 am

Electric windows?... what Jaguar is it....this is an E type forum....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Intermittent electrical quirks

Post by christopher storey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:22 pm

Ah yes, I wondered that, but I thought ( naively because there really isn't room in an E type's doors ) it must be an aftermarket job

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#5 Re: Intermittent electrical quirks

Post by DWW » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:27 pm

I suspect this post may be spam.....
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)