Horn problem

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#1 Horn problem

Post by mgcjag » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi All.......Wonder who will be the first with the Puns?.....Hornes started working intermittant......Thacked it dowm to the indicator stalk.....when i removed the cover there was a bare ended black wire(earth).....need to know where to connect it........going up through the stalk to the horn push is the live Purple.....should the black also go up the stalk or is there a connection point somewhare....Thanks Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Steve,

I think the black earth wire should connect to the base/shroud of the indicator stalk.

I suspect the purple (& black) wire is connected to the inner shaft of the stalk, so that when it's pressed, it makes contact with the base/shroud, therefore making the circuit.

Below are photos of a repro item showing the earth connection and the original part. On the original, an earth wire is connected to a braided wire which also enters the base of the stalk 'tube' so it is not clear where it connects (probably directly to the stalk body).

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Chris.....Thanks for the photos......having a closer look at my black lead it does have the braid connected to it & sleaved over the joint.......As you say its not too clear to see in your lower photo how or where the short length of braid next to the purple wire connects....but at least I know now where it goes.....So Ill make some sort of connection....Thanks Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic