Choke Control

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

#1 Choke Control

Post by Eric Capron » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 pm

I have been having a lot of trouble with the choke control on my car. It started off being very stiff. Just working it and a squirt of WD40 freed it off but the knob catches on the bottom of the Choke legend and displaces it as it is pulled out. The curved part of the mechanism that the knob is fixed to doesn't seem distorted but the whole fitment appears too high. I can't see any adjustment. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Eric

If your car has Stromburg carbs there will be two flexible cables to operate the choke. If you have an S2 with SU's there will be only one cable operating the choke. Unfortunately the lever on the S2 cars does not really have enough free movement to operate the SU carbs choke so it is a bit of a compromise and what you are reporting is fairly typical. No idea if anyone has come up with a solution but you could start by completely dismantling the choke lever, check for damage and test for operation without the cable attached. Then connect everything up and see where it gets you. You will need to be sure the entire choke system is within spec and set up as per the manual i.e. free movement, increased engine speed, then choke operation. There does not seem to be much room for error on the S2, unlike the S1 with its greater choke lever travel so accuracy is important.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:02 pm

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. My car has SUs and the choke function operates well enough in that I can start the car and there is a fast idle. It's just that when I pull the lever towards me it comes out and up on the curved arm of the control but in doing so the top of the knob catches badly on the bottom edge of the little rectangular legend that is fixed to the dash just above the knob. It seems that the control itself is too high in the dash but I can't see any way of adjusting it. I originally thought that the curved arm must be bent too much but the curve does not seem distorted and it resists any reasonable pressure to bend it down.

I am making the assumption that the lever is meant to be curved and that it shouldn't pull straight out.

My next step will be to take the whole lever apart as you suggest in the hope that will reveal what is wrong.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic